• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prometheus (Ridley Scott's Alien "Prequel" )

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Surprised there isn't a thread yet. Supposed to explain the mysterious "Space Jockey" civilization from the first movie.

Good cast. Charlize Theron, Michael Fassbender, and Idris Elba

Last edited:

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
The buzz for this is all over the place. The trailer tells you virtually nothing. It's supposed to be set before Alien, but is also supposed to involve time travel, which might explain why the Nostromo was sent to the planet in the first place.

Eason

Bicurious Racist
Reaction score
I like how it has an old-school feel to it, it doesn't look like ****** fake CGI; It looks real, like the old movie.

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
considering the shameful awfulness the alien franchise has become, i really hope this doesnt blow. alien was excellent, aliens was enjoyable, everything after that i've erased from memory.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The buzz for this is all over the place. The trailer tells you virtually nothing. It's supposed to be set before Alien, but is also supposed to involve time travel, which might explain why the Nostromo was sent to the planet in the first place.

The Nostromo didn't time travel to LV-246 in the first movie. It was a commercial towing vessel pulling an ore refinery that received an intelligent signal from the crashed "Derelict" ship. I rewatched the first movie a couple nights ago. :slayer:

Last edited:

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score

The Nostromo didn't time travel to LV-246 in the first movie. It was a commercial towing vessel pulling an ore refinery that received an intelligent signal from the crashed "Derelict" ship. I rewatched the first movie a couple nights ago. :slayer:

I realize that. But if you watch the first and second movie again, you'll see that the Weyland Corp sent the Nostromo there deliberately. How did they know to send it there?

I'm not saying it's Aliens, but.....

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I realize that. But if you watch the first and second movie again, you'll see that the Weyland Corp sent the Nostromo there deliberately. How did they know to send it there?
I'm not saying it's Aliens, but.....

Correct, the company knew what was inside of the Derelict and sent the Nostromo into harm's way knowing that it would have to respond to the signal.

You can see the Weyland logo on the trucks in the loading bay in the trailer. I'm guessing that this is about one of the company's earlier experiences with the Derelict.

gort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

considering the shameful awfulness the alien franchise has become, i really hope this doesnt blow. alien was excellent, aliens was enjoyable, everything after that i've erased from memory.

Alien Resurrection was ****.

I don't include the AVP movies when talking about the Alien franchise as those are just, whatever. Although the story of the first AVP movie was kind of neat.

boogaboogabooga

Reaction score
Super jacked for this. It looks phenomenal. Hopefully Ridley Scott isn't in whatever mode he made his last few Russell Crowe/Orlando Bloom flicks.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
100% going to depend how ballsy the studio is. if they are willing to let it run as R it'll probably be nice, but if they ***** out and go for PG13.. no thanks

Barnabus

Reaction score
I just read Hr Giger is going to be working with this movie too:slayer:

willy cheesesteak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like how it has an old-school feel to it, it doesn't look like ****** fake CGI; It looks real, like the old movie.

via Empire Magazine Issue 272 - Feb 2012

He was marvellous, but he's cooked," laughs 74 year old Ridley Scott of the Nostromo's unforgettable chestbursting stowaway. "He's now got an orange in his mouth." What Alien's famous director wants to make clear, as post production on his much-vaunted $100 million, 3D return to the science-fiction genre, draws close, is that he has gone back to the universe of his groundbreaking classic, but he's also moved on. "I felt there was still life in the old sod, but it has evolved into something else. To stick to the story, you don't really get it until about eight minutes from the end." Deep down in its scaly heart, Prometheus is an Alien prequel, but not as we know it.

It certainly embraces the Alien aesthetic; that biomechanoid phantasmagoria born of H.R. Gigers pervy art and his director's unerring eye. "It does," agrees Scott ",but it's also different..." This is as much a metter of scope as anything. With a much bigger budget, Scott has been utlising all the tools availible to him: high-end digital effects ("Avatar set the bar high"), filming in 3D ("You engage more, you're drawn in") and building massive Giger-esque sets across Pinewood that oozed the atmosphere that defined his career ("I still believe in putting in the proscenium")

The cast went giddy at the belly-of-the-beast effect of the giant sets. If Alien was a souped-up B-Movie, then Prometheus is a biblical epic. "Alien felt epic," says Scott ", but this one is Epic."

Barring a beach scene in the long cut of Alien 3, the new film will feature the franchise's first genuine exterior, with Iceland's black lava fields providing the new planet's hardscrabble surface (LV-426 was created on a soundstage). Thematically, too, it's gone big. This is God versus Science, and the survival of not just the crew (most of whom probably don't) but mankind itself. In other words, there is a whole 2001-vibe going on. "It's gone off in a new direction," boasts Scott ", but I promise it will engage you in the first five minutes."

The script, written by Jon Spaihts and Lost's Damon Lindelof, based on "one single thought" Scott drew from the original, initially follows a familiar arc. The crew of the Prometheus (the ship's name designed to echo the Greek myth) follow a perplexing message to a planet that will open their eyes and their chests to a new alien race. "A crew of scientists embark on a journey somebody else is paying for," says the director, referring to the fact Charlize Theron's Meredith Vickers is a "suit" for a certain Weyland-Yutani. Meanwhile, Michael Fassbender may or may not be an early model of Ash's android and may or may not be trustworthy. And Noomi Rapace's archaeologist heroine, Elizabeth Shaw - a spiritual cousin to "Rippers" - is one half of a conflicted couple of Logan Marshall-Green's Holloway: "One comes from a position of faith, and the other is pure scientist," details Scott. Both are going to have a lot to swallow.

Even at the time of Alien, some 32 years ago, Scott mentioned he was interested in exploring the origins of the 'Space Jockey', the dead pilot of the derelict "space croissant". He talked about bioengineering and biological warfare as potential themes. Has he been able to satisfy his curiosity in that respect? "Definitely." And what significance can we draw from the pictures slowly being released, especially the giant humanoid 'head' that looms over what Scott terms the "ampule chamber"? "Oh there's a lot more to it," he says wafting explanations away, "I've locked up all the sweet stuff..." Including something familiar, perhaps?

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rewatched the trailer and after that little interview i am officially hyped up. looks awesome

Lighthouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ridley Scott is my favorite director. So I will see this movie.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads