Prometheus (Ridley Scott's Alien "Prequel" )

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Jan 3, 2012.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

fanks!

welp, im not a fan of scary movies at all, but the previews of this made it look so awesome and epic i had to see it. now that i have, i wanna see the rest. :)

so you all get the feeling that was intentional on his part? i thought he seemed surprised, like it was done to him.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

2. gort

gort Senior member

The theory that he was sacrificing himself to sprinkle the DNA to start mankind on earth seems pretty good.

3. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

It made sense to me. He seemed to be doing it as a ritual. Everything seemed very deliberate.

4. in stitches

aight, if you all say so. :)

it seemed deliberate to me as well, but that it went all wrong. mebbe i just misread it tho. ill go with your theory as i have no alternate one.

although, considering that shaw and halloway were searching for why the humans were created by the engineers, acc to this:

1. nobody would know, as that engineer seemed to be acting alone, and no one was around. so there is no way for them/her to get an answer.

2. it was entirely a single mans random choice, not an intentional act of the engineer population. so the whole "what did we do to upset them?" question is moot. maybe the others were just pissed off at the loner for fuxxoring with their primo DNA, and they never wanted the humans to exist in the first place.

5. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

Interesting! I had thought it was more of a community decision--like he was one of many engineers who had been chosen to basically seed a planet. They showed him looking up at the departing ship just before he drank the goo. It made me think that they had all bid him farewell and now he was left to do his duty. But your explanation seems totally plausible as well.

6. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

this is true, and the fact they kept checking in on humans over time as depicted in the ancient cave paintings indicate that this was planned act by many. there is a lot more at play that was not clearly spelled out in the movie, unfortunately due to time constraints and also there is a ton of non-movie extras such as the TED teaser, random trailers, extras etc that give more to the film.

7. chiron

chiron Senior member

8. stevent

stevent Senior member

Didn't read any posts before but the movie had so much potential ideas that never really developed. And the team coulda defended themselves a bit more in terms of staying alive

9. in stitches

cool way to see it, solid point about the ship. i assumed he manned it alone, and was looking up at leave as he made his sacrifice. (this is going with the notion he knew he was killing himself.)

as to the bold :cheers:

this is interesting, i like that idea.

but i still have my doubts. :)

idk man, it didnt seem like they had a chance against all those engineers aliens and stuff.

10. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

That livejournal thing I posted earlier made the point that the "black goo" could be used for good (such as creating life) if used by someone who practiced self sacrifice, but would create evil (such as the xenomorph) if used for selfish reasons.

11. in stitches

i happened upon this, and couldnt resist posting it here. :)

[​IMG]

sidebar - the alien water cobra things were freaking awesome.

12. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

13. stevent

stevent Senior member

Yeah but at least they could have attempted to defend themselves
    Like no guns in the first trip in, Dr. Shaw not trying to kill the alien after it was cut out of her, etc. Just felt like the cast just died vs died fighting. Know the movie wasn't supposed to be like Alien but a bit more fighting would not have hurt the film

14. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Ridley Scott in interviews cited ancient Mayan/Incan tradition in which some [un]lucky guy was made a prince and got to live like a god for a year, but then he was sacrificed to ensure a good harvest the following year.

That's sort of neat, and it ties in to Meredith's line later when she seems to entreat her father to accept mortality and basically just die -- but I don't see how it fits with the movie since there would be no "reign" involved unless there was already life on earth, and they seem to have been at pains to show everything pretty plain and barren. (On another note, they did show plants in the prologue, didn't they? I can't remember any more; but if there was plant life then humans were already in the pipeline from an evolutionary perspective, making the whole god DNA thing redundant, though we already know this movie essentially disavows evolution.)

In any case, the whole process was certainly intentional on the Engineer's part.

Why bother posting this if you are too lazy to articulate anything worth responding to? I'm not hating on the movie; I'd give it about 7/10 or a B- if I recall my letter grades correctly.

Here are some links to edify you, since "lovers gonna love" I guess.

http://digitaldigging.net/prometheus-an-archaeological-perspective/

http://freethoughtblogs.com/axp/2012/06/10/prometheus-pandering-to-anti-science/

Try not to take it personally when you learn how the film is demonstrably anti-intellectual.

The answers I want as a person watching the movie are not all the same ones Shaw wants as a religious future-pseudo-scientist character in the movie.
    I don't understand how that isn't obvious, but it's why nothing you went on to say was at all relevant to what I was talking about.

Lots of people have interpreted the alien in the opening scene to BE Prometheus: defying the other gods by seeding life on earth. Personally I don't agree, in part because of the craft watching over him that subsequently departs, but that's just one of VERY few ambiguities remaining at the end of the film, and it's one of the "answers" we could easily have been given or at least hinted at without any overly ridiculous and lofty spiritual mumbo jumbo.

Obviously Ridley Scott can't have god come down and spell out the answer because there is no way that would be satisfying. I think that's what you thought I said I wanted, but it's almost the opposite. There was just so much there -- even just in terms of WHAT HAPPENED as opposed to WHY -- that could have been even partway explained but was just left so lazily meaningless.

I'm not taking anything about this movie very seriously except the discussion. It wasn't my "most anticipated" film so I had nothing at stake and I neither loved nor hated it. People loving the movie unreservedly doesn't bug me as long as they don't pretend its shortcomings don't exist.

The apologists I'm talking about aren't (mostly?) on SF. (EDIT: so if anyone thought I was directly attacking them, I wasn't, but sorry anyway.) The movie is being discussed elsewhere, believe it or not. And as with any longtime franchise, there are the salivating basement-dwellers who believe "Ridley can do no wrong," every mistake was an intentional hint at some deeper mythos, etc.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

15. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

teh hammerpedes i thnk they're called