1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Prometheus (Ridley Scott's Alien "Prequel" )

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Jan 3, 2012.

1. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

I think since we yet don't know what happens in the time span between shaw going to the engineer homeworld and the discovery of the derelict by the Nostromos, I think it's safe to say that if there are sequels, we'll get a "direct" link. it's possible that the engineers see what happened, and refine the whole process. in the original alien films, we don't get black goo. we already have xenomorph eggs.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

lol facehugging is a funny term.

3. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Can anyone say what Idris Elba's accent was? That bothered the hell out of me.

4. ken

ken Senior member

What am I spinning? I'm pretty much agreeing with you. Ahh, the styleforvmzzz.

I think it looked something like them. Scott is on the record as saying the traditional xenos will not make an appearance in these films. The idea is that the black goo changes stuff in unpredictable ways. The xenos of the Alien franchise seemed to mostly be bred by a colony, so they would have genetically similar traits, and even those had widely varying characteristics.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  5. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Some people may not have seen this film yet. It has not been out that long. Please use SPOILER TAGS out of respect for them. :fu:

6. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I read it was supposed to be southern. Dont know why they bothered.

7. ken

ken Senior member

Fair enough, but if I was reading a thread that said nothing but Warning: Spoiler!, and I didn't want to see the spoilers, then I'd stop reading the thread.

1 person likes this.
  8. edinatlanta

+1. He's shown he can do American accents well, just do that. It really, really pisses me off when accents are bad (even more when its a big-budget film) because it isn't like theater where you can have an off night and that's it. They can re-shoot a hundred times if needed and they have a dialect coach on set, so just get it right or don't do it at all. fuck.

9. Jr Mouse

The movie came out in the USA less then a week ago. You are not going to convince me that enough time has passed to drop SPOILER tags, even if someone would be served well to avoid this thread if they have not seen it yet.

10. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

So black goo stuff interacting with dna all makes sense. Problem - why the stack of dead bodies in the hollowed mountain and the dude with his head cut off near the door? Several bodies with bursted chest. An outbreak of some sort I suppose, if so - where are the 2,000 dead bodies of the aliens that killed all of them?

11. in stitches

+1 x 2

i think maybe they thought it would add to his strong nature, but also often laise fair attitude. but i thought it was just dumb.

12. gort

gort Senior member

This.

I have a coworker who refused to watch any viral videos, read any interviews, anything related to Prometheus. He just assumed it was a direct Alien prequel. He saw it last night and is bashing it all over the place in the office today and on G+ etc. He didn't even realize the movie took place on LV-223 instead of LV-426. He is frothing at the mouth that they didn't spell it out that this wasn't LV-426 or something.

13. in stitches

maybe they left somehow?

14. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

That did strike me as odd but I'm glad you placed it for me. So question remains - how did it get to lv-426?

15. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

I thought about that too, but then
    i realized we never actually saw any bodies with a bursted chest. is it possible that some of the engineers became exposed to the black goo and had a similar reaction as Holloway, thus causing the panic on the ship. What if the point of the black goo was some sort of super virus that was supposed to wipe out humanity, and the reactions we saw in the film were unexpected consequences (mutating worms into facehugger snakes)

16. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

I feel like that might be a question the sequels will answer. I mean, to be honest, I always thought the idea that the xenomorphs were engineered biological weapons kind of stupid, because they're way too unpredictable and obviously cannot be controlled. Maybe in the future, the engineers take a page out of the Weylan Yutani playbook and use the proto alien to eventually create the xenomorphs we know and love.

17. Jr Mouse

Who says it did? You are making the assumption that the Engineers we saw in this film and their ships are the same group from Alien. What if the ones in Alien were on a separate mission based on a different planet.

18. edinatlanta

So why did they want to destroy Earth, why didn't they and what happened to the Engineers?

19. Jr Mouse

We may never know the real reason they wanted to destroy the earth. Maybe more details will be in the director cut and or a possible sequel.

20. WhoKnewI

WhoKnewI Senior member

and I am happy that all of this wasn't spelled out....yet.