Prometheus (Ridley Scott's Alien "Prequel" )

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Jan 3, 2012.

1. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Senior member

I took it that David was entirely programmed by Weyland and as such basically the embodiment of Weyland's motives, greed and recklessness to push forward the discovery of the Engineers as quickly as possible. We see David communicating with Weyland via a Neural visor quite early on.

My other thoughts on David is that he almost IS Weyland at that point, which fits the Arthur C Clarke ideas of human evolution to our minds being downloaded into machines, prolonging our lives massively.

You see a massive shift in David's behaviour once Weyland dies, which suggested to me David returns to his normal programming, where he is a much more neutral Bishop (Lance Henrikssen) type android

2. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

I understood it to mean that David's sole purpose there was to find a way to make Weyland live forever and he simply used Holloway as a lab rat to see if the black goo was the answer he was looking for or not. Apparently it wasn't.

3. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

Any thoughts on why the geologist guy showed up later and turned into a rage zombie?

4. burningbright

I know I'm going to be the lame guy for suggesting it, especially since I thought read somewhere that Ridley Scott wasn't a fan but:

I hope they find a way to bring the Predators into this because Ridley is the only one I trust to helm that franchise after the blunderings of Paul R.W. Andersen and those god-awful Brothers Strouse. I say this because one of the big questions I walked away with last night after seeing it was, "why would the Engineers need a secret weapons facility to build bio-weapons?" I mean, who were they using them on? Were they fighting a war with someone and needed an edge?

The logical answer to me is someone like the Predator race. Perhaps the Engineers became angry at the humans that the Predators were horning in on their deity action a la the first AvP movie where we see the Aztecs or Mayans offering sacrifices to the Predators so they can do their hunt. But then this brings up the question of chronology because those were fully evolved xenomorphs hatching out of the Mayans, whereas the end of Prometheus has an early-stage one. This could mean that the xenomorphs we've seen in the Alien and AvP movies have all along been a side-strain not evolved using strictly human DNA but something else. Perhaps the Engineers even made the xenomorphs for the Predators because they wanted something challenging to hunt and they developed the xenomorph to what we see in the Alien movies.

I dunno, it gets kinda murky the more I type, but it would still give me a lot of personal satisfaction to finally see someone bringing some much needed cohesion to the AvP universe. If done right, I really think it would add more depth to each race (human, Engineer, xenomorph, and Predator) and make all of their stories work together.

5. burningbright

The other question I had after watching it was:

Why give astronomical clues leading to your secret bio-weapons military base to your own creations, especially since we don't know at what point the Engineers became angry with the humans? What purpose could that possibly serve, providing coordinates to an out of the way military outpost? Stay away? Pardon our dust? Come and meet your destruction?

It just didn't make any sense.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

6. burningbright

I think it just further reinforced the fact that it was a bio-weapons facility that could turn living organisms into zombie rageaholics.

7. VaderDave

VaderDave Senior member

Thanks!

8. gort

gort Senior member

Holy shit I saw it, I loved it. Amazing special effects btw. The only part I didn't get was:

Why did David have to infect the male doctor? I didn't see the point.

9. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

He asked him at what length would he go to find the answers. He did not know what the mutagen did at the time, he could only theorize. Even David is limited to knowledge until something is proven to be fact. That is why he just had to test. His original mission was to make sure Weyland was taken to meet his creator and find a way to grant him eternal life. He did not give a rats ass about Charlie, or anyone really. He was programmed to do whatever it takes.

I assume he was free to do whatever after Weyland died that he decides to accompany Shaw out of his own curiosity.

10. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Saw it today and enjoyed it. Have a few complaints, but largely not the ones I have seen here. The biggest problem the film had was that they spoiled some of the best moments in the trailers. I felt like I knew the strongest beats before they even happened. A bit of a shame really.

I'll have more thoughts later, but did want to ask...

You guys caught onto the fact that the creature at the end is NOT an early form of the xenomorph we know and love, right? I have seen a surprising amount of people on the net call it the "proto"-alien which is just a bizzare reading of the film to me. They told us over and over that this is not a direct prequel, but does share the same DNA. Different planet. Different species of alien shown. Same creators. The engineers. It's not that hard to grasp.

11. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

I came across this livejournal (people still use those?) and found a really interesting interpretation of the plot. TONS of spoilers so don't read it if you haven't seen the movie yet.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html

12. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

After sleeping on it, I still love it. Easily my favorite movie of the year so far.

13. gort

gort Senior member

I felt that the end:
    The alien we saw was an early version of a "recipe" that further evolved. Perhaps the engineers refined their formula to create the xenomorphs. The similarity to the xenomorph is undeniable, though. Can't argue that.

14. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

Loved it. Excellent story, characters, futurist technology predictions, and effects. Fassbender and Rapace were great.

And that homage scene to the original grossout chestburster scene. Wow!

No idea why it's down to 74% from 90% earlier in the week on Rottentomatoes. Snubbed by anti hard scifi critics?

In regards to the ending and JMRouse's comment:

Little scenes like that must mean something. Doesn't the Avengers ending foreshadow Thanos? Or it some other grinning purple villain?

Watch the end scene again. Weird shaped head and snapping jaws? Not a coincidence.

Maybe the Engineers captured it and "hybridized" it to its black xenomorph form. Remember the dog alien from Alien 3?

It would be bizarre NOT to conclude it's a "proto alien"

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012

15. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

I also thought it was interesting how the Prometheus crew all woke up from cryosleep feeling like shit. Under those heavy yellow lights. What a stressful atmosphere!

In Alien/Aliens, Sigourney and co. always woke up refreshed and ready to go. Under crisp white lighting.

The cryo technology must have improved in between the films. :slayer:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012