Prometheus (Ridley Scott's Alien "Prequel" )

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Jan 3, 2012.

1. CaesarSTL

CaesarSTL Senior member

Generally, yeah. There are some rough script moments and/or plot holes mixed with some questionable editing in cases (the original cut was apparently 2:27 mins long...) that hurt the film a bit, but top notch cinematography, effects, generally good acting and plot points (or holes in some cases depending upon who you ask) that are getting a lot of people talking as well. Some of the nitpicking/judging based on heritage or what people were expecting is amusing though, some fan boys are going crazy (myself as one on occasion), but there are quite a lot of issues/plot holes/nit picking etc. that can be done on the original films as well... gasp...and people seem to want to ignore that like they were the holy of holy and this is the bastard offspring.

No Coors in the film that I saw, and no tie ins over here in France that I've seen either.

2. jarude

jarude Senior member

my work is taking the office to see it during work hours :slayer: pumped up for this, also dgaf about the previous reviews. even if it is a mindless, flawed piece of sci-fi, anything remotely respectable with references and tie-ins to IP like alien gets a thumbs up. in other words, as long as its not avp, i'll be happy.

3. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Senior member

How kick ass is that of your office! Are you in media or something similar? I would be very pleased if my work took to me to Prometheus :)

I think you'll be happy with it, it's a long way from AVP

4. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    Tempted to do a midnight showing, but last time I did that I was miserable at work the next day. :confused:

5. Texastyle

Texastyle Senior member

Alien just came on Showtime as I was reading this thread. Talk about perfect timing.

6. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

My fiancee watched Alien. She really loved it and it was great watching her watch it.

When the skinny white engineer was attacked in the room with the chains, they showed the Alien hanging down waiting for him, but she never noticed it. She also never noticed the Alien when it was in the detachable shuttle at the end once Ripley thought she was safe, then it held it's arm out right before she put the suit on and opened the air lock.

I can kind of see it. Giger's Alien is hard to spot unless you know his art, or what a xenomorph looks like. It makes me wish I could see it for the first time, but I saw the movie first when I was too young to remember. Also, when Ash, the Science guy android had white blood bleeding down his face and freaked out, the surprise at that scene must have been pretty intense. They didn't establish that androids existed, and his behavior was very unsettling.

I'm guessing the scenes they changed for the collecter's edition were the computer screens? They looked too clean for a 1979 movie.

7. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Senior member

That's great she really loved it!

I didn't notice the alien on the chains in the mining room until relatively recently, it blends in very well especially in the theatrical release.

Ash is a brilliant character, as you say very unsettling, he seems evil in how detached he is. Later he appears to have been driven mad by the mission and trying to kill Ripley.

I always found the extreme growth of the alien very interesting. Some writers say that as the alien is biomechanoid it's able to eat metal and other parts of the ship to fuel growth of a foot or so into 7 feet in half a day or less.

8. gort

gort Senior member

IMAX tickets purchased for tomorrow. Watching Alien Director's Cut on Blu-Ray now. :slayer:

9. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

:slayer:

10. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Will watch next week with a group of nerd friends.

11. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

Lame, bro. It hits tonight. :sarcasm:

12. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

I KNOW but I have obligations and several of the group are out of town. We promised we'd all watch it together as a group.

13. gort

gort Senior member

See it and don't tell them.

14. Pilot

Pilot Senior member

Got my tickets for the 11:55 showing tonight!

15. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

So watched the movie...

It was a great space exploratory film. Amazing visuals. Fassbender was pretty well done. I think they could've made it a longer and more in-depth movie. They certainly had everything in place to make a story that really captivated audiences. It seems it was more about enlightenment and human need to explore and research as deep as possible - rather than about aliens and new planets, etc...

I'm sure the ending scene will cause people to want to think about the movie. I wish they never put it - because people then get the idea that the movie is all a set up for the birth of the first xenomoprh