1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Prometheus (Ridley Scott's Alien "Prequel" )

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by jrd617, Jan 3, 2012.

1. boogaboogabooga

boogaboogabooga Senior member

This man speaks the truth.

2. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Prometheus Has Landed. :slayer:

3. gort

gort Senior member

Preordered my IMAX tickets today. :slayer:

Will be seeing it the Saturday of opening weekend.

4. Jr Mouse

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  5. Anthony K

Anthony K Senior member

:slayer:

6. Jr Mouse

Missed this... Ok, it's been over a good 10 to 13 years since I read it but I remember it being a solid story. Now I am curious if I still have it in storage. Might be worth digging up to read again.

7. mussel

mussel Senior member

Holy Sh!t!! It gives invasive spices a whole new different meaning. Whatever-that-is reaches earth, we don't stand a chance, I'd kill myself to spare myself next level hell graphic demise.

8. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Its far from perfect but it has the elements of a decent story with two out of three characters being mute alien species.

9. boogaboogabooga

That trailer makes me sort of nervous. It's not enough to tell, but I was hoping for a tone more similar to Alien or just as "off" and this trailer seems to suggest a tone more inline with a conventional Hollywood adventure film.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  10. Jr Mouse

I agree it's not as dark as Alien and more colorful, but I do like the look so far. The spacesuits have a classic sci-fi, pulp feel to them.

[​IMG]

11. boogaboogabooga

Yeah, I remember more deliberate shots from Alien as well as dialogue and characters that weren't so obvious. It's weird. I would say the promotional material is something more tonally attractive to me than that scene was. Here's hoping it's not representative of the film as a whole or at least is able to work in a certain context.

12. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Alien's cinematic success will be impossible to replicate in part because it was so unexpected. A young director, a largely unknown cast with a female lead, a unfamilar and to that point comical genre. To me, what makes Alien timeless is that it was great despite the odds - its the kind of movie that almost everyone remembers the first time they watched it.

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

All good movies are a perfect storm of script, cast and direction.

Alien was a lowish-budget movie (originally 4M, then 6 or 8M after Scott begged for more money) which had an effect on the production design, direction and shooting schedule. The equivalent today would be "cabin" horror movie.

Many of the effects were obscured and shot in shadow by necessity. They were practical and the designers didn't have the luxury of digital rig removal or sweetening. The DP told me that they would sometimes just keep pulling lights to hide some of the dodgier monster shots. When doing his Alien movie Fincher said, "It's a guy in a fucking rubber suit. If we don't light it properly it will look like a guy in a fucking rubber suit.

For what they had to work with they did a remarkable job. The only shot that doesn't hold up is the chest burster racing across the table as it was just a guy dragging it along on a stick and look like it.

What is sometimes forgotten when discussing the success of Alien is that age of the cast. These were seasoned character actors with none under 30 - maybe Weaver or Cartwright was, can't be bothered to check - and they brought gravitas and acting chops. It would be tough to pitch a horror movie with 50 year olds today.

lefty

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  14. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Yeah, the low light was a good trick, and it made the movie's atmosphere better. Just rewatched Alien, and there are one or two scenes where you can tell it's a guy in a suit, though. I think the most obvious one is the scene near the end where Ripley sprays with the coolant or something - you can pretty much see it is a human arm in the rubber suit.

15. lefty

lefty Senior member

I'm not saying that Scott didn't make the movie he wanted to, but the prod design/lighting really helped hide any flaws. What I loved (and I saw it on the opening night) was the grittiness of the ship and the crew. This was a nice change from Star Wars.

lefty

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  16. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I for one, am going to be a teenager again with this film. I am not going to allow myself to anticipate or compare to ALIEN but let uncle Ridley take me away to a far away and mysterious world full of wonder, adventure and danger. He will suspend my disbelief and I will enjoy and soak it in and be afraid of strange other-worldly things in the dark, believing I may be the next victim. Seatbelt fastened. Popcorn in hand. I am ready to scream again.
    Commencing launch sequence in T-minus 3, 2, 1........ :lurk:

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  17. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Speaking of Scott....

'Blade Runner' Sequel: Hampton Fancher Will Pen Follow-Up To Ridley Scott's Classic

18. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I distinctly remember seeing Blade Runner at the time of its release, sitting in a half empty theatre on opening weekend, watching a depressing film.
    Almost no one known to me at that time wanted to see a dark brooding film about a depressing future and this was when Harrison Ford was Box Office Gold.
    Ford or no Ford, it did not appeal to most people. I also remember it being a box office flop.
    Just before typing this I did a quick check on IMDB. This may be of interest: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083658/business
    Now personally, I recognize this film as one of Ridley Scotts many masterpieces. The score by Vangelis alone is worth the price of admission. It is a technicalogical marvel of its time and still holds up exceptionally well today. It was way ahead of its time. The problem I see with this planned sequel-prequel, as with any other, is the fact that it will be directly compared to the original. With 30 years to rest on its laurels, the original, and the admiration we have grown to hold for it, will be extremely hard to match, let alone better. I hope I am wrong, but this new project hasn't a hope without Ridley directly at the helm.

19. why

why Senior member

Blade Runner isn't a very good movie. I'd even hesitate to say it's good at all.

20. lefty

lefty Senior member