1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Promenade. Black suit, black shirt and...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kajtek610, Jan 14, 2013.

1. kajtek610

kajtek610 New Member

Hi,
    I hope, that wasn't topic like this. I was searching and I didin't find so...

I'm going to gathering of my high school students and I've got black close-fitting suit, black shirt and i have no idea what about tie.
    I've been wondering about of course also black tie or graphite one alternately white. Maybe black tie and white handkerchief look good. I like dark colours, but it won't be some kind of faux pas?

Thank you in advance and excuse me bad english ; )

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

I've seen guys wearing a black suit, shirt and tie before. I did it once, but it was an all-black event and it was really, really hard to pull off. If you have a choice you might look at a different shirt/tie combo, or try it on with no tie and an open collar with a nice pocket square.

I would be careful with the white tie idea. It may look like you are in the chorus of a Guys and Dolls production.

Good luck with your choice- the most important thing is to be authentic and to feel comfortable in what you are wearing.

*Edit- I forgot this was for a Prom. Wear a tie, no open collar. White shirt would be best. If you don't have one this is a good opportunity. When I was in HS the prom was always Black Tie, not semi-formal, but if you're wearing a black suit I'd go for a white shirt.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  3. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Please never ever wear a black shirt.

Black suits almost never look good either. They can work at night, but you have to work really hard to not look like a waiter.

4. roomiller

roomiller Senior member

Holy shit is that what prom actually stands for?! Ya learn something new everyday

Also dont wear a black shirt. They're typically pretty awful and the best case scenario is that you'll look very "Johnny Cash", and thats not really a good thing.

Black suits are also pretty non-versatile but I think prom is certainly an occasion where it would work. Id recommend wearing a brighter tie, possibly a brighter paisley or floral pattern, as I find myself feeling funereal even when Im just wearing black trousers.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  5. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

Its prom, don't overdo it.

My standard advice for prom with black suit:

1. White pocket square
    2. White shirt
    3. Black tie

It keeps everything balanced.

6. kajtek610

kajtek610 New Member

I actually like Johnny Cash, so... ; )

The problem is that I don't have any white shirt (a lot of casual, but non of them suit to suit [?] ), of course I could buy one, but I've been looking the black for few days, and i need it tomorrow ; /
    I was thinking a little bit today, after read your advices and some of you wrote that it can work. Party is at night and i don't want to look like waiter or Cash. What you think about black suit and shirt and grey tie with grey handkerchief. Maybe a little bit sepulchar, but... what you think ?

7. GBR

GBR Senior member

Yet another prom thread - there are plenty here and this subject is not new.

It is a prom and so some of the decencies can be suspended. Whilst I would not normally encourage the all black look or the black suit/short, costume on such occasions can be excused. Just remember that for other than the prom a white or coloured shirt should be worn.

8. kajtek610

kajtek610 New Member

Thank you all, I really appreciate your opinions and I hope that I won't look ridiculously or too gloomily.

9. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

Good luck- enjoy your night!