• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prom.....

themidship22

Reaction score
Here I am. 20 years old and I have to go to Prom with my girlfriend.

I was wondering where I can get a good fitting Tuxedo.
I don't know if I'm an odd size or I'm just picky, but I have never worn a Tuxedo that looked any better than me wearing a box.

I don't want to spend a ridiculous amount. Maybe a max of $400. I don't even know if I can rent a good tuxedo for this price.

Lysol

Reaction score
Originally Posted by themidship22
20 years old and I have to go to Prom with my girlfriend.

God bless you.

TheDroog

Reaction score
At your age I would rent, which means you're going to get a boxy tuxedo. Sorry, no way around it. Just get something that fits well around the shoulders; salesmen tend to overestimate people's shoulder sizes.

If you want to buy at ~$400, you're in luck. J.Crew, Express, H&M, and Banana Republic are all selling inexpensive tuxedos right now, so check their websites. As they are fashion brands, they should be well fitting.

And if you're willing to bust your budget, there's a list of slim fit tuxedos I posted in this thread.

Also, if you do a search of this site, you'll find 50+ similar threads with additional advice.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
date girls your own age, then you won't have to rent a tux.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can't afford to buy a nice fitting tux, then buy a nice fitting suit instead. Rental tuxedos are the worst.

brohymn

Reaction score
The best advice you'll get here is don't go to prom just go to the afterparties.

Also hahaha you're 20 and have a girlfriend in high school you're pathetic.

ctrlaltelite

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can get plenty of nice tuxes at a deep discount due to the ****** economy. i saw one on sale at topman, and a rag and bone tux at forwardforward.com, also the B&S threads -- like TheDroog said -- are a good bet.

tatet

Reaction score
Wear a suit. most high-school kids don't even know the difference and you'll look ten times better than anyone else with a simple h&m suit

themidship22

Reaction score
I'm 20 girlfriend 18? Huge age gap eh?
Iwas thinking maybe a TaT suit. I need a good suit anyways

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The question is will you be better dressed than your girlfriend?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads