• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prom Suit (Need Advice)

firefit

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to the community, and I'm sure I'll be posting more in the later future. Disregarding the fact that I am new, I need help with my prom suit. I'm on a very STRICT budget. It's very difficult to get everything tailored, but I need critical advice on my suit.

Specifications of the suit:

1. Saks Off Fifth Polo Ralph Lauren Black Wool Suit (38S)
2. Modern Tailor French Cuff Dress Shirt (White)
3. The Tie Bar Solid Satin Tie (Black)
4. Cole Hans dress shoes (black)
5. Express belt, but I made absolutely sure the black leather belt matched with the shoes.

It's all really cheap stuff, but I just need to make sure I'm not creating a mess for myself, haha.

I need to list a few things beforehand:

1. There is no way I'm getting a tuxedo, so I'm getting something similar (just a suit) to fill in for the "black tie" formal apparel.

2. Is there divots? I think, but I read a website stating that as long as the divots are not "too bad" then it will be fine.

3. I'm bringing my suit to a friend who works at suit supply. He is going to pin it and then take it to a tailor. Will these alterations drastically improve the look of the suit, and do I really need to get an alteration for those divots (if there is any?)

The alterations:
- Sleeve length (Not too long, so it doesn't go up to the buttons, but closer)
- "Taking in" of the suit (about 2 inch from each side)
- Length of pants

The pants won't be shown because they fit pretty decent, and from seeing pictures and articles of how they should fit, they run along those lines clearly.

4. Should I shorten the length of the suit?

5. The suit's dress shirt in the picture will not represent the actual dress shirt. I did my measurements and submitted them to Modern Tailor, and they are going to send me a French Square Cuff, Medium Classic Collar, and white color for 35.00. I was iffy because I heard the shirt fabric was "intentionally terrible" as it is a trial shirt. However, some people did say the quality of the fabric is fine. Is this something I should be concerned about?

6. The bow-tie is not the tie I will be using, it's just to simulate.

7. Please tell me if there's anything else wrong with the suit, and please ignore the bathroom/background. Haha

Thank you gentlemen!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dude, the fact that you're giving it this much thought tells me you will probably be one of the best dressed guys at the prom. Here ya go...

- Divots are not an easy fix...so don't bother trying. Fixing it would require shoulder work and it's not something you would let just any alterations tailor attempt.

- Get the sleeves tailored so you show about 1/4" of shirt cuff.

- Taking in the jacket that much at the waist sounds pretty extreme. Have your buddy pin it and make sure your happy with the way it looks before it heads to the tailor.

From what I can tell from the pictures, the suit doesn't look like a bad fit. Most importantly....have fun!

firefit

Reaction score
In reply to Murlsquirl,

Yeah, I used to be very much into fashion and menswear. It simmered down once I realized I can't afford anything nice. Hahaha, and thanks for your advice!

firefit

Reaction score
I also wanted to ask a final question. Would a Black satin tie pair correctly with this suit? The suit doesn't have a satin lapel however.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I also wanted to ask a final question. Would a Black satin tie pair correctly with this suit? The suit doesn't have a satin lapel however.

I would go with solid silk or a grenadine....I actually don't mind the look of the bowtie either.

firefit

Reaction score
And do I match the size of the tie with the width of the lapel...? The lapel is around 3inch, so I'll go for a three inch tie? Also, do you know where I could possibly get a decent black solid silk tie then? Since tie bar sells them for 20, I'm looking around that range.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
And do I match the size of the tie with the width of the lapel...? The lapel is around 3inch, so I'll go for a three inch tie? Also, do you know where I could possibly get a decent black solid silk tie then? Since tie bar sells them for 20, I'm looking around that range.

I have one of these in 3.5" (classic width) that would be great.

https://www.kentwang.com/grenadine-black.html

If you'll wear it and promise to post a picture, I'll send it to you.

firefit

Reaction score
You'll just send me a tie? That's insane. I might just take you up on your offer, I'll have to think about it though, and if I do wear it, I might even post a picture with my prom date.

Last edited:

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You'll just send me a tie? That's insane. I might just take you up on your offer, I'll have to think about it though, and if I do wear it, I might even post a picture with my prom date.

Yep.

No, grenadines are not just for summer.

Last edited:

firefit

Reaction score
Are you able to post a picture of tie on a black suit? Thanks!

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Are you able to post a picture of tie on a black suit? Thanks!

Sorry man, not many (including me) own black suits around here...unless it's a tux. I don't own a tux either.

If you go with Tie Bar, just get something in the 3-3.5" range.

Last edited:

firefit

Reaction score
My prom date's brother, whom works at suit supply, is going to lend me a black satin tie. Thank you though!

As for pocket squares, should I just stick with a nice solid white silk?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My prom date's brother, whom works at suit supply, is going to lend me a black satin tie. Thank you though!

As for pocket squares, should I just stick with a nice solid white silk?
In this case, I would stick with classic white linen.

firefit

Reaction score
Just purchased a hand-rolled white linen from the tie bar. Will update full suit pictures when everything comes in!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads