• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prom Suit Advice

kmlazatin

Reaction score
Initially I wanted to wear a grey suit to prom this year but I began to hear more and more from a couple of guys at school that they were going to be wearing a grey suit as well. Obviously I want to stand out and look fresher than all the rest but how? My prom date is going to be wearing a maroon dress, leading me to feel inclined to purchasing a Khaki suit, but I know that those are meant to be worn more during daytime occasions. Any thoughts/ advice on my situation and if you do think I should wear a Khaki suit, where should I purchase and what colors should I compliment it with, i.e. shirt, tie/bowtie/ shoes/ pocket square, etc.

Thanks so much for the help everyone!

*if it helps with the advice giving, I'm a pretty dark skinned guy so I feel like the lightness of the khaki would compliment me pretty well

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hell no to khaki.

wear the gray. stand out from the crowd by shining your shoes nicely, get the suit tailored properly, and accent with a crisp white shirt and black tie. White linen pocket square. The rest of these fools will probably wear black shirts or some crap.

manchambo

Reaction score
Why does every one of these prom advice seekers assert a need to stand out by wearing something completely inappropriate? That is not the primary purpose of formal or semi formal dress. Watch the oscars and you will see very stylish people with limitless funds and image consultants. None of them are wearing khaki.

kmlazatin

Reaction score
I totally get what you guys are saying about the appropriate dress for a "formal" event and how unnecessary it may seem to stand out at prom. However, you have to understand that high school proms nowadays are becoming less and less of a "blacktie" sort of event. Most high school dudes are trying to stand out at events like this. No, it probably isn't the ideal way that the real world works but it is what it is and I feel like that's the way you should base your advice upon.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I totally get what you guys are saying about the appropriate dress for a "formal" event and how unnecessary it may seem to stand out at prom. However, you have to understand that high school proms nowadays are becoming less and less of a "blacktie" sort of event. Most high school dudes are trying to stand out at events like this. No, it probably isn't the ideal way that the real world works but it is what it is and I feel like that's the way you should base your advice upon.

If you want to stand out then wear a clown suit, no different from a khaki suit but would stand out even more.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
...and a few years down the line, they look back on their prom outfits with shame and embarrassment.

I have to admit, this is one of the most hilarious threads that I've seen today. The sad thing is that you're probably not a troll.

I'm curious to know what it is about a maroon dress that makes you feel "inclined" to wear a khaki suit to prom?
rotflmao.gif

EriQ009

Reaction score
Don't wear a khaki suit. In fact, don't wear a grey suit, either. I would wear classic black-tie, especially if fewer people are doing it. That way, you will look great, you will "stand out" from the crowd, you will be appropriately dressed, all while managing not to offend your future self.

rickrone

Reaction score
Initially I wanted to wear a grey suit to prom this year but I began to hear more and more from a couple of guys at school that they were going to be wearing a grey suit as well. Obviously I want to stand out and look fresher than all the rest but how? My prom date is going to be wearing a maroon dress, leading me to feel inclined to purchasing a Khaki suit, but I know that those are meant to be worn more during daytime occasions. Any thoughts/ advice on my situation and if you do think I should wear a Khaki suit, where should I purchase and what colors should I compliment it with, i.e. shirt, tie/bowtie/ shoes/ pocket square, etc.

Thanks so much for the help everyone!

*if it helps with the advice giving, I'm a pretty dark skinned guy so I feel like the lightness of the khaki would compliment me pretty well
I should smack you for even having the idea of wearing a khaki suit. if you want to stand out where a bowtie because most people will probably wear a tie.

MRM1

Reaction score
I am young enough to remember the proms I attended. I brought my son prom suit shopping last year and brought him tux renting this year. So I do have a bit of experience in the ways of high school proms. I hope you can benefit from my experience.

Most high school boys do indeed have a "look at me" approach to prom, which leads to clownish behavior and clownish dress. You will stand out the most by being the only one in your class who dresses well and plays by the rules.

There may be a few boys wearing grey suits. You will be outnumbered by those who are wearing tuxes with lime green vests, suits with sneakers, and boys who buy the top hat and cane option to go with their tuxes, and show up twirling plastic top hats and obviously fake canes that are equally plastic. The old proverb is that if you want to make people laugh, you want them to laugh with you, not at you. As you stand out in a crowded prom, you want to stand out because you're well dressed, not because you've made yourself look odd and people point you out because your combination is the strangest they've seen that night.

If you have the means, shop around and rent a good quality tux. Even Men's Wearhouse has a Vera Wang wool tux that can be had for less than $200 if you have a coupon (or a competitor's coupon - they match) that is very nice.

If you get something like that you'll stand out because the fabric is so much nicer than the usual rental tux and your black tie and white shirt complement you and your outfit better than all the like green vests in the world.

If you don't want to rent a tux, absolutely wear a nice grey suit with a bow tie that compliments your date's dress. Or a black suit if you have it. The fit and fabric will make you stand out for the right reasons next to everyone else's polyester rentals and weird look-at-me garb.

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're a guy. Who cares if some other guys are also wearing grey suits? This should not result in an "OMG that girl is wearing the same dress I am" debacle. If everyone is trying to stand out, you'll probably succeed in standing out by not trying to stand out. The traditionalist in me frowns at the idea of not wearing a tuxedo to prom, but if your prom is not truly a black tie event, I understand why you wouldn't want to do this (though it would be an interesting and tasteful way to stand out if done correctly).

As another poster alluded to, "you are the frame to [your date's] art." Do you part and look good so that people can focus on how great she looks. Most importantly, have fun.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're a guy. Who cares if some other guys are also wearing grey suits? This should not result in an "OMG that girl is wearing the same dress I am" debacle. If everyone is trying to stand out, you'll probably succeed in standing out by not trying to stand out. The traditionalist in me frowns at the idea of not wearing a tuxedo to prom, but if your prom is not truly a black tie event, I understand why you wouldn't want to do this (though it would be an interesting and tasteful way to stand out if done correctly).

As another poster alluded to, "you are the frame to [your date's] art." Do you part and look good so that people can focus on how great she looks. Most importantly, have fun.
lol...That doesn't apply to high school prom. They don't appreciate/understand black tie enough. The girl's probably going to look just as silly and forced as he's planning to. The best that he can do is try not to make an absolute @ss out of himself to avoid future embarrassment. I think that's what most of these posts are suggesting.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

lol...That doesn't apply to high school prom. They don't appreciate/understand black tie enough. The girl's probably going to look just as silly and forced as he's planning to. The best that he can do is try not to make an absolute @ss out of himself to avoid future embarrassment. I think that's what most of these posts are suggesting.

I'm pretty sure "Look good and help make your date look great next to you" works for pretty much everyone. That's really what the whole "You are the frame to her art" means in most cases.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure "Look good and help make your date look great next to you" works for pretty much everyone. That's really what the whole "You are the frame to her art" means in most cases.
Sure it does kid
rotflmao.gif
Then again, "Thriller" Michael Jackson did make the average girl who he was with look better.

Alex Hayes

Reaction score
I've been to prom 3 times. Each time I'm sure I didn't wear a styleforum approved outfit. I'm pretty sure I have worn a black dress shirt to prom which is a no-no (I can understand why now). I never went with a classic tuxedo but I always went simple. I wore a black jacket with black pants and black tuxedo shoes. I wore a vest a couple of the years but it was a very subdued off white and i wore a solid colored tied. I believe it was a cream colored one at least two of the years. I never stood out by having a bunch of wild colors or weird shoes or goofy jackets. I would definitely wear a simple, classic tuxedo or a black or navy suit with a white shirt. Listen to others here. Looking nice at prom is a good thing, but the whole point of it is to have fun with your date. Don't worry about standing out. Keep it simple and classy and you can't go wrong. If everything fits well you will look nice. As others said, if you want to do something a little different than everyone else will be doing, switch it up by going with a nice bowtie and a pocket square.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads