1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Prom Clothes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oddly Familiar, Apr 25, 2005.

1. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

Tuxedo is also called semi-formal or black tie. So the traditional tie is a black bow tie. But then if you don't want to be traditional pretty much anything goes.

Mathieu

2. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

Is the jacket really this long? It does not look like a tuxedo to me (even remotely) but obviously you don't want the traditional thing so... Wing collars are designed for bow ties. What's the point with a long tie? BTW: this jacket does not have a buttonhole, so you cannot have a boutonniere. Mathieu

3. Oddly Familiar

Oddly Familiar Senior member

Mines not quitet that long. I'm thinking about getting a purple tie because I am giving her a purple flower-dealy I forgot the name. I'm confused, what exactly is a boutineire? I thought it was the thing that goes in the pocket. I don't kow about all this stuff, I'm only a freshman.

4. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

The flower dealy is a corsage. Tricky moment when you pin it on - get too close to her breast and Daddy will take your arm off and beat you with it - important safety tip as that would more or less spoil prom.

The boutoniere is the little buttonhole on your lapel that is not within several inches of any discernable button. Your jacket appears not to have one so have mom use two safety pins from the back. Hold still and don't squirm - she's your mom, this will be a big deal to her.

Important safety tip #2: Unlike the days when I went to prom, GPS tracking technology is much better these days. Dad said 11:00 curfew, have her home at 10:58.

He also has a tracking device implanted in her ear - if you stop at the Marriott he'll know, then he'll kill you... probably slowly.

Other than that, have fun.

(Note: Daughter is 9, I have 6-8 years to practice scaring the crap out of young suitors so I am practicing on this poor unsuspecting guest)

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I think what people try to pass off as boutonnieres these days are tacky.

One does not need a large rose accessorized with various sprigs of what I believe are called Baby's Breath.

6. Oddly Familiar

She's a junior, her dad's been through it before. Besides that, I got her the bracelet one. I hope that her dad doesn't say 11. The after party starts at 11.

7. Matt

Matt Senior member

while you have deviated significantly from what is traditional and generally recommended on these boards, you made it clear that that was your intention early.

As such, you have selected a very stylish suit, that is successfully edgy enough and out-there enough to make you stand out from the crowd.

spend a lot of time getting the fit as close as the renter will allow, and have a great night.

8. Oddly Familiar

The jacket fit great, the pants where the smallest size possible, but a little bit big in the waist. I wore a purple tie that matched my dates eyeliner/corsage perfectly. She got me a white with purple tipped boutineire that was pinned right above my jacket pocket. Guess what? I won 2nd best dressed guy, the winner was some dude that came in all white, a hat and cane and shoes, too. I was better dressed than him.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

That must be true white tie then.

I wager he wore a set of white tails a la Marlene Dietrich.

Or Liberace.

10. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

Do you have pictures?

11. Oddly Familiar

I'm not to crazy about putting pictures of me up on the internet, but if you want to see some PM me.

12. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

What many people do is that they edit the images to cut off their heads. So the pictures they post show them up to their neck/chin.

13. Bradford

Bradford Senior member

Congratulations on your second place best-dressed finish. Not bad for a freshman.

As to the guy who beat you - I'll would take Label King's wager and bet that he actually looked more P. Diddy than Liberace.

Bradford