Prom Clothes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oddly Familiar, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

(Edward Appleby @ April 25 2005,20:18) I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that your normal wardrobe include skintight jeans, track jackets, tight t-shirts layered over tight long-sleeve t-shirts with lots of black, and multiple shirts with logos of Hawthorne Heights, As I Lay Dying, and the like. Not my style, but don't feel too disparaged: my best friend admits to wearing girl jeans because they don't make mens tight enough. And he owns a number of As I Lay Dying albums.
    HAHAHAHA no. That new music is not my thing. I listen to classic rock. That's pretty much it. I wear tight jeans and black t-shirts, the occasional polo shirt form abercrombie and fitch and never layer my shirts. That looks terrible. No track jackets either, I don't typically wear any jacket, maybe a sweater every now and then. I also like the cordoroy pants.
    Then why the tastelessly metrosexual prom attire plan? If you wan't to sauce things up a bit, but avoid the "gay hairdresser" look, try a smoking jacket or a (possibly red) velvet shawl dinner jacket with regular tux pants. (Granted, the Gucci jacket I have in mind I saw in the NYT men's style magazine and cost between two and three thousand, but it's a place to start.)

2. Oddly Familiar

Oddly Familiar Senior member

The pants I have in mind for my "outfit" are tux pants. Either solid black or black with small pin stripes, like the shirt.

3. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

There is no such thing as striped tuxedo pants. They shouls be solid black with one vertical satin ribbon covering the stitches.

4. Oddly Familiar

Can you rent a single pair of tux pants without the rest of the tux? The stripe thing sounds like my dad's old marine corps pants. Bleh.

5. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

If a tux is really not your thing, what about a black velvet jacket? Yeah, it's been overdone and played out, but it still looks good.

Jon.

6. Oddly Familiar

Does the white honestly clash that much? I'll go look tommorrow at the tux place if you guys seriously think it will look horrible.

7. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

It's a black strip on black pants. I also feel these can be odd. Semi-formal pants with cumberband: [​IMG]

8. Matt

Matt [email protected]

you sound like a prime candidate to heavily hit the thriftstores kiddo.

i second the velvet jacket - think it will acheive exactly what you want to.

9. dusty

dusty Senior member

I went to my little sister's grand march the other day - white kids wearing white tuxedos with white chuck taylors, all-white Yankees hats, and bandanas under the hats. And yes, I am intentionally using the plural. It was not pretty.

10. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

Jill is scanning my old prom pictures as we speak. This will be very embarassing but will illustrate why it is best to go with a straight black tux... 20 years from now your fiance might scan the pictures and post them to the internet.

11. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

Why didn't you destroy all proof? What you left some witnesses alive too?

12. Jill

Jill Senior member

I wasn't around then, and as such, was not responsible... Â But here's our young fashion designer at PROM: [​IMG]

13. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

FOR SALE:  One girlfriend, best offer, will ship to your location at my expense.

Disclaimer:  I was a freshman, date was a senior.  Dear Lord, forgive me for I knew not what I wore.

Manton - go ahead, start off the list with:

No cuff showing
    What's the deal with the one button on the sleeve near my elbow?

14. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

Couldn't you afford more than one sleeve button? And why not have it at the elbow, you trendsetter?

15. Carlo

Carlo Senior member

It wasn't bespoke man... gimme a break OH CRAP... I just realized something... CLIP ON TIE ALERT..... ...polyester probably. Someone please kill me now.