Prom Clothes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Oddly Familiar, Apr 25, 2005.

1. Oddly Familiar

Oddly Familiar Senior member

Alright, I've got prom on friday night. This is what I plan to wear:

A Black with white pin stripe shirt from Express

A girls jacket, White with black pin stripes

A white tie

Possibly a white belt

I haven't decided what kind of pants to wear. I've got some dark jeans but, I'm thinkin about getting some slacks. What color and all that should they be? Also, what shoes would look good? Please, post your comments and be honest. I want to know if you think I'll look stupid. By the way, I'm 5'10, 133 pounds, so you can imagine how skinny I am. Also, if it helps, my girlfriend is wearing a black dress.

2. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Is this somebody's idea of a joke, or are you actually serious? [​IMG] If you have perused this forum for any length of time, do you really expect the bizarre costume you describe to draw any accolades?

3. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

Is a tux out of the question? Remember, you'll have to live with those photos forever, and current fashions/your own tastes are definitely going to change. A tuxedo is timeless, as long you don't pick one like Adam Sandler had in "The Wedding Singer."

EDIT: Also, I think one of the great aspects of prom (or weddings, debutante balls, charity dinners, etc.) is that you get to wear clothes vastly different from what you can get away with on an average day. At least I'm assuming you don't wear a tuxedo on an average day. The outfit you're contemplating doesn't come close to meeting that "dressiness" factor.

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Smart...piss off the guy with an arsenal in his house and the knowledge to use it...

Jon.

5. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Not pissed, just bemused. Besides, in all likelihood, the young gentleman probably hasn't the foggiest who I am or what I do.

Besides, if it were my wont to plug young people who dress tackily for proms, I'd have to be worst mass murderer since Hitler.

(Yeah, I know, almost certainly Stalin and very probably Chairman Mao offed more people. Pol Pot certainly did so on a proportional basis, but Hitler seems to be the outstanding "devil figure" of our age.)

6. Oddly Familiar

Wow. Does it really sound that bad? No, a tux isn't out of the question, but I wanted to do someting different. Just out of suriosity, what sounds so bad about it?

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

No, probably not (although I'm a young man and I know what you do... [​IMG] ). Jon.

8. Patrick Bateman

Just a suggestion: why not do "something different" at the inevitable afterparty? Go to prom in a nice tux--black, peak lapel. Don't get one of those clip-on bow ties. Trust me, plenty of girls are impressed if you can tie a bow tie. This is your evening to play like James Bond or Cary Grant. Look sharp. I guarantee when you're wearing the tux you'll have an extra spring in your step. There'll be plenty of time to change out of the "monkey suit" and hit the afterparty, spend some quality time with your girl, etc.

9. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Don't rent a tux, whatever you do. You'll look boring. I applaud you for going an untraditional route. You'll have plenty of time to wear proper black tie between the ages of 20-80, right now have some fun.

It sounds like you're going the hipster route for black tie. Take a look at runway pics fron Dior Homme for inspiration.

As for what you posted. The stipe on stripe might be too busy depending on the scale of the stripe. Also loose the white tie. On a black shirt you'll look like the Hives or a gangster. Get a black tie.

Try to post some pics as I'm having a difficult time trying to picture the outfit described.

10. Oddly Familiar

Alright, If I can get a working camera, I'll post some pictures. The stripes on both the shirt and jacket are small. What if I went tie-less? I might go look at a tux tommorrow, but I'm not sure. Also, if I do decide to do the other look, what kind of shoes should I wear(color and all that)?

11. Patrick Bateman

shoes to go with tuxedo: traditionally, black patent leather. often slip-on. for a high school prom, though, and depending on your budget, there's nothing wrong with a pair of black lace-ups, as long as they're SHINED.

12. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    OF: Boy, I'm having a hard time picturing your idea for prom wear without seeing Ducky. [​IMG] I'm with Patrick on this one. p.s. although now that the photos are side-by-side, I'm alarmed at the similarities between Ducky and my avatar [​IMG]

13. Oddly Familiar

14. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that your normal wardrobe include skintight jeans, track jackets, tight t-shirts layered over tight long-sleeve t-shirts with lots of black, and multiple shirts with logos of Hawthorne Heights, As I Lay Dying, and the like.

Not my style, but don't feel too disparaged: my best friend admits to wearing girl jeans because they don't make mens tight enough. And he owns a number of As I Lay Dying albums.

15. Oddly Familiar

HAHAHAHA no. That new music is not my thing. I listen to classic rock. That's pretty much it. I wear tight jeans and black t-shirts, the occasional polo shirt form abercrombie and fitch and never layer my shirts. That looks terrible. No track jackets either, I don't typically wear any jacket, maybe a sweater every now and then (I am in Texas, it doesn't get terribly cold here). I also like the cordoroy pants.