1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Prom Assistance

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by LetterDelivery, Apr 9, 2013.

1. LetterDelivery

LetterDelivery New Member

I'm wearing a White, One-Button, Shawl Collar Tuxedo. The pants are Black and the shirt was originally White. The bow tie, of course. was going to be Black. I assumed that when dressing along with your date, it was okay to wear a (somewhat) traditional tuxedo, regardless of the colour of their dress. My date wants me to wear a Turquoise bow tie to go along with my ensemble. It might just be my tastes but the combination sounds dreadful. Should I simply exchange the shirt for a light blue shirt with a white collar (á lá Kanye West in the Runaway music video) or should I bend to her whim and wear the disgraceful turquoise bow tie? I feel this is my first chance to express my sartorial skills. Please assist me men of the style world.

2. cptjeff

cptjeff Distinguished Member

You're right, your date is wrong. Wear a turquoise pocket square though, the bright and cheery color works with a white dinner jacket, and it should appease her.

Also, nice choice. Stick with the white shirt, too.

3. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

I vote against turquoise PS as well, but not near as egregious as a turquoise bow tie.

4. jrd617

jrd617 Stylish Dinosaur

Is there a strong chance you'll get laid by said chick?

One must factor that into the decision-making

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013

5. MikeDT

MikeDT Distinguished Member

:lurk: