• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Project Runway Season Four

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone been watching?

I thought last night's episode was weak. Tell everyone to design for Tiki Barber, have him greet everyone wearing a suit, and then expect the designers (overwhelmingly womenswear designers) to put something together in <2 days? They set pretty unrealistic expectations--especially when Tiki's wife came in and said sportswear was too informal. I thought the sportswear designs would be the only ones that had a chance.

I liked the blond girl's look, which was kind of Trovata/Yoko D with the preppy color scheme and fleece, but most of the rest was awful--plus, Tiki's taste and mine do not agree.

Overall, can't say I was sad to see any of the three kicked off so far get Heidi's boot.

Thoughts?

I shall now go post in the SW+D manly thread.

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah this season is pretty mediocre so far. I think Christian, the weird hippy girl who made the poop dress, and the shaved headed wierd-named guy that won the first show have made some decent stuff.

I saw an interview with Heidi recently and when asked about the new season she said, 'Its the same sh*t different people', which is rather telling of her enthusiasm or lack thereof for this year.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought Sweet P deserved to be cut. Her shirt collar was more unforgivable than Carmen's outfit IMO.

I actually didn't like Kit's jacket at all. The idea was Ok but the cut and balance was just horrible.

My favorite was this one but can't remember who designed it...?

rate_runway_05_403.jpg

So far, my favorite designer of the bunch is Rami. I think the guy has some real talent and is technically pretty strong

underwearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah that jacket is killer!

I thought the whole Tiki challenge was wack. They should have had to design clothes for him, make him try everything on because hes like 5'9" probably +200lbs football build. Instead they designed for tall skinny models with no necks and no butts. It didnt make any sense to me.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Carmen didn't even have a shirt! (although her solution was OK)

The one you posted is Rami's which is certainly alright.

Yeah, safe to say that the designers could not get the proportions of a men's jacket right. I thought Kit's was OK, but it certainly wasn't close to a tailored jacket.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
I thought Kit's was OK, but it certainly wasn't close to a tailored jacket.

I don't know- it just didn't work for me. Here is a pic for those who didn't watch the show

rate_runway_04_403.jpg

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
I don't know- it just didn't work for me. Here is a pic for those who didn't watch the show
rate_runway_04_403.jpg

That looks like something sold at JC Penney. I think this episode repeats at 8 PM tonight. Can anyone confirm that (I missed it last night)?

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't catch this episode (hopefully a rerun tonight) but I'll make two comments:

1. Some of them had to do menswear last season or the season before when they had to design for one another. It's when Nick got booted because he made a wonan's suit for Daniel. These people do not know how to design for men.

2. Given Tiki's build (as someone mentioned) the looks they made (of which I've only seen those two posted here) could be horrible. I'm broad shouldered and wide. I'm short too. If you design for me but with a tall skinny model, what looks good on that dude will NOT look good on me. And I think that applies whether its sportswear or a suit.

Btw, there's absolutely zilch interesting about those two outfits.

b

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I caught the tail end of it w/ my gf. She made me watch it, alright? In any case, I believe this was a winning outfit:
rate_runway_11_403.jpg
This is some serious AmJack **** going on here. Michael Korrs said he liked the interesting stripes on the placket and pocket. WTF? I knew his **** was AmJacky...but how can he have any credibility left after picking this as a winner? BTW, this was my favorite outfit last night:
rate_runway_07_403.jpg

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Rami, and I think Elisa has a lot of talent. Although, she's a little crazy.

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
Everything last night was whack. I couldn't believe all the love the ugly striped monstrosity was getting. They were saying the stripes on the pants and shirt were subtle with interesting details. The stripes didn't seem to go together at all and just looked ugly. Most all of them were bad. I don't have a problem with them doing one men's wear challenge (i actually like it), i just wish they'd give them a more realistic and potentially interesting challenge. There wasn't really any hope of good outfits being churned out here with the stipulations.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I caught the tail end of it w/ my gf. She made me watch it, alright? In any case, I believe this was a winning outfit:
rate_runway_11_403.jpg
This is some serious AmJack **** going on here. Michael Korrs said he liked the interesting stripes on the placket and pocket. WTF? I knew his **** was AmJacky...but how can he have any credibility left after picking this as a winner? BTW, this was my favorite outfit last night:
rate_runway_07_403.jpg

These outfits all seem so amateur-ish. I think they all need to take a look at the Duke of Windsor's wardrobe and the Sotheby's catalog of Bunny Roger. I do prefer that last outfit though the shoes are hideous; the first one is just egregious: horrible fit, ugly pattern, just cheap-looking.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who did not watch the show and are taking pretty violent shots at these pictures, I'd like to remind the following:
(1) pretty much none of these people had any experience designing mens wear
(2) they had a budget of $150 for all the fabrics (shirt, pants, jacket...) - at retail price, not wholesale
(3) they had 1.5 day to design, cut and sew everything, without any patterns

It's one thing to be creative and know how to drape a gown on a mannequin and deal with half a dozen seams, it's a totally different thing to cut & sew pants, shirt and jacket from scratch.

I think that some of these outfits are actually pretty impressive considering the prior experience, budget and time...

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
These outfits all seem so amateur-ish. I think they all need to take a look at the Duke of Windsor's wardrobe and the Sotheby's catalog of Bunny Roger. I do prefer that last outfit though the shoes are hideous; the first one is just egregious: horrible fit, ugly pattern, just cheap-looking.
Yeah, but see below:
Originally Posted by gdl203
For those who did not watch the show and are taking pretty violent shots at these pictures, I'd like to remind the following: (1) pretty much none of these people had any experience designing mens wear (2) they had a budget of $150 for all the fabrics (shirt, pants, jacket...) - at retail price, not wholesale (3) they had 1.5 day to design, cut and sew everything, without any patterns It's one thing to be creative and know how to drape a gown on a mannequin and deal with half a dozen seams, it's a totally different thing to cut & sew pants, shirt and jacket from scratch. I think that some of these outfits are actually pretty impressive considering the prior experience, budget and time...
I agree. However, it's the concept of the winning outfit that's messed up. Where's the good taste and the creativity? Poor execution is to be expected given such a short time, add poor vision to that and it's a joke to call yourself a "designer."

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
However, it's the concept of the winning outfit that's messed up. Where's the good taste and the creativity? Poor execution is to be expected given such a short time, add poor vision to that and it's a joke to call yourself a "designer."

I agree with that. The winning design was a joke. + the guy tore his own shorts apart to draw a pattern for the pants - that's borderline cheating. When you see the pants that Rami designed without the help of such pattern, you realize that guy is talented

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads