• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Project Runway 3

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anyone watching?

In the first show the winner was a menswear designer who had never made a dress in his life.

The second episode saw a guy get kicked off, Milan, who really should have stayed I think. That woman that they let through is useless.

Anyone? Anyone?

bob

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I watched most of the first episode. I havent tried to watch it since, will try to though if its on while Im flipping through the channels

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm enjoying it. Did you see the casting episode? Apparently Malan had auditioned every season--they even asked him to be on last season, and HE turned them down. Weird. Sucks he got booted, there are far crappier (and less interesting) designers still on. I am not a fan of Angela and her stupid skirts. I also can't stand tattoo-neck--just don't like looking at him, and his stuff is so predictably "against the grain."

They do seem to have made a real effort to get experienced designers on this year.

Gdamn my GF for getting me addicted to this show!

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I like tattoo-neck just becuase he brings a little edge to the show. It may be predictable, cliched edge, but at least it's something.

That Angela ***** needed to get it, but she's going to make for entertaining television, so I'm sure the producers had a lot to say about that one. In an ideal world, both Angela and Vincent (is that his name? Her partner for the gown challenge) would have gone last week. They were both dicks.

Also, Uli's dress should have won last week, not the spangly monstrosity.

As you can tell, my fiancee has me hooked on this show now.
frown.gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
This season looks good so far.

Malan was creepy as hell (Dracula immediately comes to mind) but he shouldnt have gone over that chick.

This seems to be a more talented bunch than previous seasons, where it was obvious there were only a couple standouts from the beginning.

Tattooneck is an annoying turd. I love it when someone rants about everyone else being so conventional and uninspired, then proceeds to create the most godawful crap you've seen. It seems they kept him around after week 1 because he is going to be one of those 'lively personalities' that bring in viewers, whereas that first chick to get booted was so vanilla you'd never notice if she were there or not.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tattooneck was wearing vans hosois in the first episode, I think. He just reminds me of crappy, oh-so-rebellious people. And he was proud of dressing Steven Tyler. I bet he uses skulls at some point.

Sauce, I guess you're right in that he brings a diff perspective, but I haven't seen enough yet to know who's got interesting ideas.

ArtisticShowcase

Reaction score
Yeah, which one do you think is going to get kicked off for sabotage? On the previews, it was implied that Jeffrey (tatoo guy) would do something "shocking".

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay so here are more of my thoughts:

I saw the casting episode which was very interesting. I was shocked to hear that Malan had turned them down. But he was very arrogant then. He seems to have grown (in the little tiny bit of him we have seen). And after that bit about always saying goodbye and his mother throwing his drawings on the ground, I felt just horrible for him. Then again, his dress was a foot too short. At least he owned the mistakes instead of passing them off on his partner.

The casting episode made me root for Vincent actually. Horrible experience back in the 70s and is trying to get back in. But he's proving himself to be two-faced. He loved that "kooky" hat in ep1 and wouldn't let that woman do any work on the dress in ep2. Though he said he had to correct her mistakes (which was also hinted at in the teasers when he kept saying she knows nothing of construction), so it's hard to tell what really happened.

As for the "shocking" part of asking someone to leave, my first thought was that Keith will be booted for misreprenting himself--remember how he had no women's clothes, only pictures of stuff he "co-designed" with someone else. I wondered if something will come up with that. Now it seems less likely. Plus I'd like to see him go far--he does good stuff.

Kayne's dress was definitely the best from ep2. Uli's wasn't a pageant gown. Pretty and well-made, but not appropriate for a pageant (if memory serves since I don't watch them). Kayne's and whatshisname's was just gorgeous.

Laura: I hated her in the casting ep because they talked about her having "seen it all" and really made a big deal about her. To me she looked like nothing more than a rich NY-er who decided she was tired of architecture and wanted to try something new. Is she talented? Definitely. But she doesn't need this, and I'm big on giving exposure to people who need it. I'm still not fond of her. She's got great (1930s) style, but...naaah, I just can't like her. Unfortunately I think she's the only woman on the show that has potential.

Jeffrey (tattooneck) is a douche bag. Uck. Get rid of Mr I'm-so-alternative. Please.

I wanna see the Barbie designer do well too.

bob

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Tattooneck was wearing vans hosois in the first episode, I think. He just reminds me of crappy, oh-so-rebellious people. And he was proud of dressing Steven Tyler. I bet he uses skulls at some point.

Sauce, I guess you're right in that he brings a diff perspective, but I haven't seen enough yet to know who's got interesting ideas.

I'm not saying I like any of his stuff, but personality-wise, I think he'll make for a more interesting show. That's what I was referring to when I said he brought at least a little "edge", not his actual design skills or ideas, just personality. That was unclear in my original post. I think he's going to grate on people, and if he lasts long then he'll probably start to polarize people a bit, because he seems to sort of disdain a lot of the other contestants. For now, though, Angela is the alpha outcast, so tattoo-neck isn't going to get to play the Outcast Alternaboy role yet, I think.

The Jude-Law-looking guy is getting a Napoleon complex. He's actually got skill, and I like the way he dresses, but at some point his cockiness is going to bite him **********. I'll be interested to see what happens. It was amusing watching him flirt with Ms. USA when he was trying to promote his concept.

As for Kayne's dress, I dunno. I guess it was more "pageant"-y, but... ugh.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought Kayne's dress was straight outta Jessica McCLintock (not that I've ever spent 3 hours in there while my prom date tried on dresses).

Sauce, I hear you on tattooneck. What does it say on his neck anyway?

Bob: Very thorough post. The thing that bothers me most about Laura is her gross chest. Cover up that ribcage.

Jude-Law-ish guy (Keith?) does dress well. What's the deal with open-necked shirts? Most of the guys on the show are wearing henleys, vnecks, or otherwise loose-necked shirts. Your take on the designers' fashion? How meta.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
Bob: Very thorough post. The thing that bothers me most about Laura is her gross chest. Cover up that ribcage.

Oooh, yeah, we were saying that last night. Yech.

I forgot to say, too, that in the casting ep they showed her with her 5 kids in their huge-looking loft apt. She's probably never had a day in her life without priviledge. Some of the others have spent time using their tiny studio apt as their workshop and waiting tables to pay bills--wasn't Santino homeless in LA for a while?

b

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can't forgive the utterly commercial aspect of that show; make full use of the Macy's Accessories Wall?

What kind of advice is that for an aspiring designer? That tatooed Rick Owens wannabe was utterly distasteful despite his own exclamations of taste.

ArtisticShowcase

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I can't forgive the utterly commercial aspect of that show; make full use of the Macy's Accessories Wall? What kind of advice is that for an aspiring designer? That tatooed Rick Owens wannabe was utterly distasteful despite his own exclamations of taste.
Yeah, last season, the show was sponsored by Banana Republic instead of Macys/INC Internation Concepts and they had the "Banana Republic Accessories Wall". Also, during the runway shows, designers can opt out of paying for shoes for outfits if they use Michael Kors shoes (Season 1 especially even though one of the finalists (Kara Saun) got Dollhouse to make her shoes for free, which is against the rules)

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ArtisticShowcase
(Season 1 especially even though one of the finalists (Kara Saun) got Dollhouse to make her shoes for free, which is against the rules)

Yeah, they busted her for that, but not nerely harshly enough if memory serves. She made up some bogus cost to report and Tim Gunn told her she was full of ****. Loved it.

b

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads