1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Project Runway 3

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by rdawson808, Jul 21, 2006.

1. koobalicious

koobalicious Well-Known Member

ive been trying to avoid reading anything about the runway show from last friday - though i did see one spoiler pic about this week's challenge, which just looked weird. cannot wait to see who wins!!

2. esquire.

esquire. Senior member

I've been surprised to find myself rooting for Jeffrey so much; I did not like him early on. During the moms challenge, Angela/her mom annoyed the crap out of me, and I sympathized with Jeffrey.

Huh?? I was never one of those who hated Jeffrey, but really, that fight with Angela's mom was just disturbing and I don't see how that fight would actually make you like Jeffrey. For God's sake, he made somebody's Mom cry. In my book, that's simply not cool. From what I saw on the show, he got pissed because the Mom responded to Tim's question about how she liked the dress. Its not like she searched for Tim, and without prompt, started to badmouth the dress.

And, going back to the couture dress challenge, I don't see why they can't mix it up sometimes and give designers more time and money to design a dress. Maybe for the first season, I could understand a limited budget and timeline because the show was new and didn't have a major budget behind it. I think that with more time, we'd see different designers shine and rise to the challenge. Some designers, like last season's Daniel V., thrived under those constricitons but didn't deliver when they had the resources and time to prepare for FashionWeek.

Actually, I think I do realize the reason behind those tight budgets and timelines- to put as much pressure on these designers so that we get as much drama and ugly fighting as possible. For me, when they brought back Vincent and Angela in the last challenge, encapsulated everything that was wrong with this season. Those two had no chance of winning that challenge, so there was no real drama in that. Instead, they were brought back to cause tension and fighting. Last season, there was so much fun and singing and joking while they were making their dresses. This season, its been all about nastiness and fighting; its just not aesthetically pleasing. That's why I'll watch the remainder of this season, and won't watch anymore seasons.

And, I got to add how disappointed I'm with this batch of designers especially with all the publicity this season has gotten and how much bigger this season's guest judges have been. Last season's final five or six seemed much stronger than this season's. Michael is the frontrunner, but he just hasn't really impressed me too much.

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

last nite was a re-run?

what a drag

4. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Anyone see Part 1 of the finale last night?

Does Michael's collection look like it's going to royally suck? I hope not.
    Is Jeffrey going to be booted for outsourcing his pleats? I hope not.
    Does Laura's collection look really costume-y?
    Who are you rooting for? I'm pulling for Uli.

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I want to see Michael win, but Jeffrey's work looked the best.

Laura pulled a pussy move by trying to rat out Jeffrey. I mean, some people just work at a different pace than others. One man's 100% effort might be another's 200%, and yet another's only 60%. Just because Laura couldnt do all that in the timeframe given, doesnt mean someone else can't. I hope it turns out she was wrong and Jeffrey gets the last laugh. bitch

6. rdawson808

rdawson808 Senior member

I was just about to post something since I just caught a rerun of last night's episode. Here are my thoughts:

Jeffrey's collection looks really good.

Laura is a snotty bitch who can't handle anyone performing better than she has. With all of her resources (that HUGE flat--for christ's sake we only saw the living room and it's bigger than my entire house; that LV luggage; the whole "I've never had the resources to start my own line..." blah blah blah bullshit.) she might not succeed and she's taking it out on Jeff. She even says at one point in the next episode "we're friends" (which Jeffrey calls her on). Then why the hostility when you all get back together for the final week of prep? I really dislike this woman as a person.

But Laura's clothes are gorgeous. They are just the thing I like to see.

I generally don't like Uli's stuff anyway, so no surprise I don't like this stuff.

I didn't get much of a sense of Michael's collection. I do tend to like what he does so I expect it will be good.

The preview for the final episode seems to show Jeffrey crying and being hugged by Uli and it gave me the distinct impression he's being kicked off. Total BS in my mind. I don't know the Truth with a capital T, but he is correct in saying that he got his experience sewing hundreds of garments by hand. He has years of experience doing this stuff and the rest really don't. Especially Laura. Why be shocked that he comes back after two months with pieces that are perfectly completed. And that they fit the models perfectly is dumb-luck. He couldn't have planned that.

b

7. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

The preview for the final episode seems to show Jeffrey crying and being hugged by Uli and it gave me the distinct impression he's being kicked off. Total BS in my mind.

I know. The editing totally makes these shows. Esp. the editing of previews. I don't think Jeffrey'll be kicked off. We probably just saw him break down from pressure/excitement or relief that he didnt get kicked off. I think his stuff looked really good, too. Looking forward to seeing everyone's stuff on the runway.

8. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

I agree about Laura, the clothes did look stunning -on the rack at least -

I got the impression that Micheal didn't have his act together, or at least not much done.

Good show...and who can get tired of looking at Heidi Klum?!![​IMG]

9. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

10. koobalicious

koobalicious Well-Known Member

omgomgomg - i wont spoil for anyone but i do agree with the final decision - had much conflict over it at first but the more i think about it, the more i agree with. it was clearly the most innovative collection.

11. Rome

Rome Senior member

omgomgomg - i wont spoil for anyone but i do agree with the final decision - had much conflict over it at first but the more i think about it, the more i agree with. it was clearly the most innovative collection.
    I concur.

12. colin_

colin_ Senior member

grr I was hoping that other semi-finalist would take it!

13. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

All the work was really quite remarkable...even though there were things I didn't like, I couldn't do it either.

PR is the only 'reality' show I have ever watched. I appreciate that it does not seem to be a zero-sum game; most of the designers benefit a great deal from the show, not just the winners. Somehow that seems more elegant than all the Survivor &c garbage, even with the tensions in this offering. Yet, the Chef show has so much more angst and rancor that I couldn't enjoy it.

Was surprised that I expected more from some of the finalists and got less. Expected less from some and got more. Never can tell.

I thought it was poor form for Kors to wear sunglasses throughout the Bryant Park showing. Tim, however, seems sharp enough to make up for him though.

Regards,
    Huntsman

14. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

Uli's show was the best. But over the course of the entire season, Jeffrey has definitely shown his talent. He still seems like an asshole though.

-Jeff

15. shellshock

shellshock Senior member

Uli's show was the best. But over the course of the entire season, Jeffrey has definitely shown his talent. He still seems like an asshole though.

-Jeff

i agree. i liked uli's show the best. my mom said that they picked jeffrey so that he wouldn't get pissed and go back to being a drug addict. [​IMG]

16. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

17. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

Uli only does one thing, though. She does it extraordinarily well, but she has one theme and a few variations. Jeffrey actually had ideas, which sometimes worked and sometimes didn't, but in the end I'd rather them reward innovation and risk.

Regardless, though, I'm just glad that megabitch Laura didn't win. Words cannot express how much I loathed her by the end. Jeffrey actually impressed me a little by not calling her out after she feigned relief that she hadn't managed to weasel him off the show. If it was me, I would have had a few choice words for her.

18. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

I expected the least from Uli, but she surprised and impressed me the most. Even the WalMart buyer was interested in her designs. I think she'll have the most commercial success of the four.

Laura's garments were fantastic, elegant, but very one-dimensional. Similar to the impression that she personally projects, she'd be a good haute-couture designer.

Michael's collection was dissapointing. He could not break out of the hip-hop/streetwear mold.

Jefferey's collection was edgy, like himself. He is the most daring of the four.

19. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Strange - I saw Jeff sporting the capri pants with boots look, but I don't recall seeing it on any of his models! His collection popped, though.

20. shoreman1782

shoreman1782 Senior member

You think so? I thought his problem was that he didn't do enough sporty streetwear. His best stuff this year (the jackie brown shorts, the seersucker outfit) were not flashy eveningwear. I thought he had some cool prints in there, but suffered from Uli doing similar things better.

I thought it was odd they implied that a designer should be excited that WalMart was interested. [​IMG] I mean, money is money, but nothing says watered-down mediocrity like WalMart.

Could anyone identify the cute chick sitting next to Daniel Vostovic?