• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Project Mgt & Prince2

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend some self learning resources for project management, and more specifically Prince2? I have picked up a fair amount over the years, but would like to do a bit of more formal learning (but not classes or anything) and have some sort of reference.

Online and inexpensive /. easy to read books are where its at for me.

Thanks,

K

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aww come on people. There have to be some people here into Proj Mgt and such.

Help a bruva develop his $killz

K

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I resorted to a textbook that teaches the accounting principles behind project management. Outside of that it seems to consist mostly of charts, whiteboards, and kicking a bit of tail when things inevtiably fall behind.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
I resorted to a textbook that teaches the accounting principles behind project management. Outside of that it seems to consist mostly of charts, whiteboards, and kicking a bit of tail when things inevtiably fall behind.

Nah, the real key is to say "PRO-ject Management" like you're canadian if you want to be considered a guru. Its pro-ject as in PRO football. Not prah-ject.

That's the single biggest thing. And then talk about gantt charts and resource allocation.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by countdemoney
Have you considered google?

http://www.apmgroup.co.uk/PRINCE2/PRINCE2Home.asp

Errrr, yees, but as I said I was looking for recommendations from SF members on self teaching resources whereas most things on the APMG website are for courses which I specifically said I dont want to do.

Regardless of the underlying principles of charts and whiteboards and kicking tail, there is also a reminology and a set of processes, templates and etc which are required in order for all parties to communicate in some projects and things like Prince2 provide that standard.

K

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
only because you asked, biatch!

Tangfastic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't you ask your employer? There's a three day Prince 2 introduction course that costs about £500 that a lot of my colleagues have been through, apparently needs about 20 hours prep time. I don't know the name of the firm that supplies the training and accreditation but could find out.

If it would help in your current job ask your employer if they will give you the whole or part of the time and fees.

Personally I've yet to be convinced 'll be called on to manage any projects so complex that they can't simply and jargon freely be managed by making a list of resources and priorities on the back of an envelope, but a lot of people seem to like the professionalism.

VKK3450

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually work for myself, so its not just the cost of the course, but more the cost of my time sitting in a room. I was hoping for something I could flip through in the evenings / on the tube.

I'm dont need certification, so its not worth it to me.

Guess I'll just pick up a Dummies book

K

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 26 3.4%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 132 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 249 32.6%
  • 21 - 30