• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Project Management Tools

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hello,

Anyone stumble across any useful and robust project management tool to use currently, and for free or at a low cost?

I read an article albeit dated in 2008 and CreativePro Office sounded very nice.

The description was:
CreativePro Office has the usual tabbed navigation, including tabs for clients, projects, time sheets, finances and team members. The dashboard presents a calendar with upcoming events, a list of your projects, outstanding invoices, notes and search functionality. Project creation is a bit more in-depth than with most other apps listed here, though only a client name and project name is required (you can also fill in a project URL, description or comments, category, date range, status, contacts and tags). Client tracking is integrated, making this handy for those who work with lots of different clients, and it could even serve as a simple CRM program, depending on your needs.

Sounds pretty neat.

CreativePro Office is very robust for a completely free application and is definitely worth checking out before shelling out for an expensive paid solution.
Not anymore :(

I currently also use a CRM software but do not find it useful when dealing with projects. Everyday tasks are fine.

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After researching and using a free online software (AceProject) I realized all this is very foreign to me in terms of the language.

Further reading I have pinpointed what I want to accomplish, so, it will help better specify what type of project management tool is best.

I am trying to focus on several variables like:

• How to track a user and their current progress (estimate) to their completion (actual) (not sure if I am using those terms right). This would then be used for performance reviews based on the project breadth/scope, time spent (estimate to the actual), and overall end product.
  • As a project manager I also want to be able to follow up closely and monitor the progress, receive updates, leave notes etc.

AceProject seems straightforward, but I still do not understand how it keeps track of time. There was time sheet mentioned but it seems very dated. I would assume software nowadays can automatically log the number of hours/days a user has spent on the project by tracking log-in when a user leaves updates via comments/notes.

The big picture here is utilizing a project management tool in which several users can be assigned tasks to a project, then use the statistics gathered as a way to provide performance review, feedback, and reward.

Tried Googling open-source software and either my Google-fu is not very strong or a lot of companies are now capitalizing on the PM market. Uncle informed me that it was only within the last 5 to 10 years did his field start pushing PMP (government engineer).

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What I really like about my CRM software is that I can assign tasks to users with:

• Contact name (not necessary for PM)
  • Type
  • Title
  • A start and due date
  • Team notify

There is also an area for notes to be left. And it will always show who and when it was first created, then the latest update to give a bit of a time frame (for an actual timeline we have users notate the date and their initials with commentary so we can track the progress whenever there is an update).

Something simple like this for PM would be sufficient for now I believe. A tool to track the progress of major projects rather than daily tasks, and not necessarily be assigned to a client but the company per say. I think in the case for PM the title should be sufficient to indicate who the client is and the scope of the project.

One minor thing that is annoying with the CRM system is you have to manually rollover your tasks to the next day or date if you continuing on. I rather have something with PM that is static and easily located on the dashboard, but just as dynamic when editing the details.

Last edited:

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not at all conversant in managing sales and marketing projects, but I am at least minimally conversant in project management when it comes to engineering projects.

My central suggestion would be to read more into the techniques of project management and focus on them over the software and tools. Obviously there are many tools out there - MS Project is the one we use here - but they are relatively useless from a true getting **** done perspective unless you follow good project management techniques. Specifically, it worries me to hear you say this:

I realized all this is very foreign to me in terms of the language.

It suggests you are seeking a software solution when in fact you should be focusing on the underlying techniques.

How are people supposed to show progress? You have to have a detailed work breakdown structure with bite-sized tasks, otherwise you will be fooling yourself on self-reported progress. How do you shield yourself from unexpected delays? How do you allocate resources? How do you establish contingencies? Are certain subtasks inter-dependent, etc etc? And how can you be sure that all this reporting is actually getting you somewhere? Are people spending more time reporting than they are doing the project?

Anyways, my point is that project management software is not some silver bullet. PM is a complicated thing and many, many more people do it poorly than do it well. You'd be better served seeking out project management training over project management tools in the short run.

Apologies if this is all stuff you already know. Good luck.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good insight. My uncle who is also an engineer told me the same. I am looking towards a PMP certification, but do want to dive into PM and respective tools. My firm is in dire need of a revamp and I feel some type of PM software will help greatly.

Alternatively I sat around thinking and may just be able to tweak our current CRM software to work in my favor for PM in the meantime as I get to understand the theories behind PM more.

Thanks, Douglas!

Last edited:

FunLovinStyle

Reaction score
From reading the posts here, it seems like your firm needs to implement a process or a methodology for managing projects. I don't think you can select a tool until you've figured that out. What is the nature of the work you are trying to manage? Are these engineering projects or something else?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I took a week long project management class back in December. Although I don't really use the techniques I found it very interesting (don't ask why I was sent). One of the key points from the instructor was ditch the tools until you know the techniques (as Douglas said). So yeah, definitely start reading up (and probably invest in a class) on PM techniques and work toward that PMP cert.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah uncle said the instructions can be a week long. The thing is my current job is in the finance field and management may find PMP worthless. I think they much rather me get my CFP designation than PMP.

However, I am trying to instill a new way of management especially when I've been given the duty to create and revamp the way we provide client services, internal operations (broad), marketing and PR efforts, M&A opportunities, etc. The CEO has so many ideas that I need to first systematize, evaluate, prioritize, then start gathering necessary resources, execute and monitor progress.

I managed to find a way with the current CRM software to start a database. Next is speaking with the CEO to find out more about what the project scope is and he hopes to accomplish. Going to look more into PMP..I remember Berkeley offering a program. It'll probably be on my own time and money, though. It's really interesting topic FWIW, and the techniques/methods you can learn from such a course. PMP is applicable cross-disciplines, too as it seems.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
A couple of things:

- First, a week-long project management course will only begin to scratch the surface of what you need to be an effective PM. Frankly, there's just nothing like experience. I'd encourage you not only to take the class but to pick up some reading and really focus in on this if you think it's that important. No one solution fits all scenarios, so understand when different sources are telling you different things and appreciate those differences and think about why different approaches might both work (or not work) depending on your circumstances. I'm not saying don't take the class, but I am saying don't walk out of it with a certificate thinking you're a PM now.

- Second, this:

The CEO has so many ideas that I need to first systematize, evaluate, prioritize, then start gathering necessary resources, execute and monitor progress.

is a bit scary. Fortunately, it appears you are on the right track:

speaking with the CEO to find out more about what the project scope is and he hopes to accomplish.

Even absent project management, a key objective for you is going to be nailing the CEO down to specific scopes, goals, and objectives up front that create firm, objective, unshifting benchmarks for you to be measured against. It sounds like you have a very big job in front of you, and that PM is just one front in that battle. It also sounds like an exciting opportunity, but make sure you don't get caught chasing the shifting priorities of a dreamer. There's nothing wrong with visionaries, but they need to be reined in by executives. Sounds like you're the executive. Good luck.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
phew! Left the office at 8PM today after wrapping up some client cases then diving into the project(s). Good progress. We looked at further identifying project titles, how to prioritize by name, created [creating] stage names to track progress, linking resources (contacts) specific to the project from our database, identified the reporting system (thankfully it can be exported to Excel!), etc.

I wish I was an exec.

Auximenes

Reaction score
@ Toasty :
PMP is great to have on your resume if you intend to persue a career as a project manager. You will see that most job postings for PMs list PMP as a pre-requisite. I followed a 3 or 4 days course 2 years ago, and that was more of a 'bootcamp' approach. The only goal of the course was to train you to answer the test questions correctly,which is not as easy as it may seem. It didn't teach me anything about how to do my job, it only taught me how to pass the test., which is just what I wanted anyway (not that I don't need to learn anything, but you know what I mean..)
The course was veryefficient, PM me if you're interested and I can dig out that company name.

Last edited:

larryr

Reaction score
I've been working in the technology field for about 14 year and in my experience it's best for a project manager to find a tool that is easy to use and adapt it to the team so they can be most productive instead of a tool that restricts team from actual work. Regardless of the field, good project management is good project management and should translate.

Ever look at the Atlassian suite, Jira? Not free, but can be reasonable based on the number of users. Everything you are looking for is there; categorization, tasks and subtasks. Also, time tracking against estimates vs actuals.

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/demo

Plus they have many add-ons.

Trello is a free software, just not as many features and pretty basic.

Also, I may get crushed for this, but with all the PMs i've worked with, PMP is worthless. :hide: It's sort of like a developer who is certified in Java, means nothing if they can't do the work. Either you have the skills or you don't, to me it's more about leadership, understanding how to get the best out of your team, which includes picking tools that work best for them and not necessarily the PM. Then again, I'm not a PM, so if the title may mean something in furthering your career than by all means do it.

Last edited:

riellanart

Reaction score
I'm doing my PMP now, and I agree that as a whole, PMP is just a certification that proves you learn what is in the Project Management Book of Knowledge (PMBOK). It does not show effective meeting strategies, stakeholder buy-in, how to mitigate risk, etc. It only provides guidance.

That being said, it provides an universal language to other PMPs and a standardization to the craft.

As for tools, you have to figure out whether you're going to manage by yourself, and how you want to track issues. JIRA is a ticket management system, not a project management system, although there are tools to change it to fit the needs of project management. If you want a FREE ticket system, you can look for open source tools like Redmine and the like, but you need to host it yourself. Microsoft also has tools like Project Server, which is why standalone Microsoft Project is almost useless.

I've been trying to find Windows 8 apps to work with my surface. If you're using an agile methodology, Eylean tasks is the app that I'm trying to implement for my own personal projects.

riellanart

Reaction score
Also, don't need to actually take the PMP exam. The PMP is just a cert. What is the important thing is understanding the concepts behind the PMBOK and know that it is just a framework. You do not follow it to the letter. One of the clients I work with did all the PMP work, but never took the exam just because the certification is useful in getting the job, but it is less than useful when you're actually trying to run a project.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sound like experience outweighs the actual certification in the long run

I am actually working in the financial field (services) but when not dealing with clientele work on a lot of internal projects that require feedback from various departments. More so, I am coordinating a lot with vendors and external contacts who we want to bring on board. So, I think one way PM/PMP comes in hand is tracking the time (progress), meeting deadlines, and be able to notate changes as they occur. That in itself is how little exposure I have with PM at the moment. A lot of is relationship building in a sense, which from the sound of some of your work, is not too different in terms of understanding the other parties "wants" and "needs" and assure that certain accommodations can be met so to help further the goal and objective.

Working in the Bay Area I also think PMP maybe useful in the long run if I want to change careers since Silicon Valley is in backyard, and from my understanding a lot of technology companies utilize PM to run their latest projects. And as noted above, the skill set, attitude, and general PM aptitude can go a long way, which I agree. In other words, be applicable to various fields.

It is one of many certifications I am highly considering. I think the immediate one is tackling the series 7 just so I can have that under my belt...

Thanks for a lot of great comments for me to consider in this pursuit!

edit:
FWIW right now I am using a CRM software and trying to integrate it with the projects I have. It is not very efficient since the tool goes by client to identify information. Closest thing is labeling projects as "Trust" entity and make notes/tasks on its respective profile.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads