• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Project Allen Edmond

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One of my best finds this year thrifting was a pair of Allen Edmonds for $4. I've worn them a few times and there's a few things that need to be fixed on them, to return them to their former glory. I don't usually post in the MC section and could use some advice. I appreciate it.

dace1cdd.jpg

f3df8339.jpg

1) As you can see they were well loved by their previous owner and the leather has become dry / crinkly in some areas. What product and method will restore these?

2)The previous owners foot is imprinted into the soft leather insole which makes them fairly uncomfortable to stand in for long periods of time. I can either solve this two ways I'm guessing; pick up a Dr. Scholl's or something insert to cover the original sole (which might actually work out because they are 1/2 size too big). What is a good insole for dress shoes? I don't like ones that have high elevated heels because it then throws off the fit of the shoe. OR I could take it to a cobbler and have a completely new leather insole put in, how much does that usually run?

3)At the thrift store I got them from they pop off all the heels and replace them with some cheap goodyear heels, as seen in the second picture. I'm def going to have to have a cobbler take a look at this, how much will it cost to bring back the leather heel?

4)The shoe laces are beat up in some areas, where can nice replacements be purchased at that will look exactly like the originals?

It looks like Allen Edmond can completely rebuild the shoe for $99, after watching the video I think this might be the way. Anyone done this?
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/RecraftingView?storeId=1&langId=-1&catalogId=40000000001

Also if anyone can identify these shoes i would appreciate it.

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Search feature is your friend. Search shoe care / maintenance.

Last edited:

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One of my best finds this year thrifting was a pair of Allen Edmonds for $4. I've worn them a few times and there's a few things that need to be fixed on them, to return them to their former glory. I don't usually post in the MC section and could use some advice. I appreciate it.
dace1cdd.jpg

f3df8339.jpg

1) As you can see they were well loved by their previous owner and the leather has become dry / crinkly in some areas. What product and method will restore these?
2)The previous owners foot is imprinted into the soft leather insole which makes them fairly uncomfortable to stand in for long periods of time. I can either solve this two ways I'm guessing; pick up a Dr. Scholl's or something insert to cover the original sole (which might actually work out because they are 1/2 size too big). What is a good insole for dress shoes? I don't like ones that have high elevated heels because it then throws off the fit of the shoe. OR I could take it to a cobbler and have a completely new leather insole put in, how much does that usually run?
3)At the thrift store I got them from they pop off all the heels and replace them with some cheap goodyear heels, as seen in the second picture. I'm def going to have to have a cobbler take a look at this, how much will it cost to bring back the leather heel?
4)The shoe laces are beat up in some areas, where can nice replacements be purchased at that will look exactly like the originals?

1. Shoe trees and conditioner/polish, but creases are part of natural wear and should be expected.

2. Wear them longer until your foot changes the imprint. The insole cannot be changed, it's integral to the construction of the shoe. An insert could help if they're too large, but they'll never fit quite right.

3. Probably not too much money for a new leather heel, but I would wear through those before you do it. They may not be aesthetically perfect, but for a shoe that doesn't fit you all that well being used short term until you can afford ones in your size, they're fine.

4. Your local drugstore should have black dress shoe laces. Or your local cobbler.

Unregistered

Reaction score
The imprint of the previous owner's foot isn't on the leather insole, but rather in the cork placed under the insole. It cannot be replaced, and thus will never truly fit you as the shoe was designed to. With time it will improve, but the imprint from the previous owner will still be there.

greyinla

Reaction score
Don't think it's a good idea to consider paying $100 to "restore" those shoes when, w/ a bit of looking, you can find perfectly good new AEs for about $150. And though AE can replace the corkbed, you'll still be left with the creases, molded to someone else's feet, in the uppers. BTW, it also looks like they might have sliced of a good bit more of the heel stack than normal when putting on a toplift, so AE might even turn the job down. A good cleaning and a pair of insoles might help, but I wouldn't invest any further money in them.

Last edited:

allaboutshoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The imprint of the previous owner's foot isn't on the leather insole, but rather in the cork placed under the insole. It cannot be replaced, and thus will never truly fit you as the shoe was designed to. With time it will improve, but the imprint from the previous owner will still be there.

I beg to differ. WHen sending shoes to allen edmonds for their recrafting program, they put in a fresh new cork layer, so technically you can solve one problem.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

dace1cdd.jpg

f3df8339.jpg

It looks like Allen Edmond can completely rebuild the shoe for $99, after watching the video I think this might be the way. Anyone done this?
http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/RecraftingView?storeId=1&langId=-1&catalogId=40000000001

Those shoes are cactus FWIW...

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

2. Wear them longer until your foot changes the imprint. The insole cannot be changed, it's integral to the construction of the shoe. An insert could help if they're too large, but they'll never fit quite right.

you think so? it's hard to imagine for me, that you can imprint an insole. probably the corkbed underneath at best. i can imagine you can imprint a sockliner, but bengal says AE don't uses sockliners in their shoes. is this true???

sorry for ot. ty

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dace1cdd.jpg

f3df8339.jpg

Those shoes are cactus FWIW...

whatcha mean?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

you think so? it's hard to imagine for me, that you can imprint an insole. probably the corkbed underneath at best. i can imagine you can imprint a sockliner, but bengal says AE don't uses sockliners in their shoes. is this true???
sorry for ot. ty

The imprint will never be perfect, but it will get better. Leather doesn't stop being malleable after one foot. If you apply pressure to new areas, those new areas will compress. And if the cork is replaced, you're even closer to a fit.

And no, AE does not use sockliners, but if a shoe is too large, it'll always be too large. You can stick an insert in there to take up some volume, but you're never going to change the shape of the shoe.

Last edited:

atlrus

Reaction score
dace1cdd.jpg

f3df8339.jpg

Those seem to be "Fifth Avenue".

Send them to AE for recrafting and all those issues would be taken care of, including the laces. I think it's worth it, compared to paying $325 for a brand new pair. According to AE, their standard $99 recrafting package includes:
  • Replace Soles
  • Replace Heels
  • Replace Welting
  • Replace Cork Footbeds
  • Replace Laces
  • Refinish the Uppers
  • Hand-Polish Leather
so most people commenting so far were plain wrong. And considering you only paid $4 for them, I'd call it a deal for $103.

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hmmm. I think there can be valid arguments to refinish them or not. On one hand for $103 it is def not a bad deal, on the other the shoe doesnt fit me that great and I could put that $103 into my Alden Toe Cap boot savings.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
first, I'm not sure AE would accept those for recrafting as they are lately very particular about any work done on them, including heels in some cases. That shoe didn't come with a leather toplift anyway, fwiw.

any shoe shiner/repair shop should have waxed laces.

For shoes that beat, i would throw them out having gotten far more than your $4 and buy new ones.

atlrus

Reaction score
Hmmm. I think there can be valid arguments to refinish them or not. On one hand for $103 it is def not a bad deal, on the other the shoe doesnt fit me that great and I could put that $103 into my Alden Toe Cap boot savings.

If the shoe doesn't fit you, then there is no argument about it :)

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

first, I'm not sure AE would accept those for recrafting as they are lately very particular about any work done on them, including heels in some cases. That shoe didn't come with a leather toplift anyway, fwiw.
any shoe shiner/repair shop should have waxed laces.
For shoes that beat, i would throw them out having gotten far more than your $4 and buy new ones.

Yea, true. I have worn them to my graduation, a funeral, and a wedding. Gotten drunk in them a few times too. Def got my $4 worth.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads