• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Profit sharing / bonus compensation rather than a high base salary?

v0rtex

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a senior employee at a small, new (3 year old) digital marketing agency that's been growing very rapidly. Joined about a year ago and they've doubled in size since then. I expect the company to continue to grow at a rapid pace (we just leased a much larger office to cope with anticipated growth). Revenue is in ~low $m, with ~15 employees.

When I initially joined the company, the partners floated the option of my compensation being tied to profitability of the department I was to build and run. I turned them down as I did not know enough about the company and considered it too risky at that time, opting for a higher base salary instead. I was able to negotiate an above-market salary as I had worked with the partners in the past and they had a pressing need to hire someone they trusted into my role.

Since then everything has gone well, the company is managed well and I believe it has a good future. Haven't heard any numbers yet, but will be given access to the financials soon and made an offer to reduce my base salary in exchange for compensation tied to profitability.

Has anyone else worked on a performance basis before? Recommend it? Anything to watch for when negotiating, or negotiate for? What sort of percentage of salary should be based on performance?

Last edited:

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have waited until I saw the financial statements before I offered to switch my compensation plan.

There are pluses and minuses to the performance-based pay structure. From the companies perspective, it controls the amount of guaranteed money that they have to pay. If you perform, then you won't get paid. A related advantage (in theory) is that the people who aren't performing and aren't being paid will be unhappy and quit; the better employees will stick around. It's a self-filtering process. Also, that pay structure motivates employees to do their jobs well because their ability to get what they want is directly tied to it.

As an employee, if you like the idea of being paid based on your performance level, it could be a good idea. If you're really prepared, you'll do a little investigating and prepare a basic forecast of sales for the next year. That way, you'll know what percentages to negotiate in order to insure that, in the worst case scenario, you still make about the same amount of money. In anything other than the worst case, you'll make a lot more money.

You'll want to find out how frequently the pay-outs for bonuses come. I'd make sure that the salary component is AT LEAST enough to pay any expenses and debts that you'll have to cover.

Last edited:

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1. make sure that your base covers your nut. that is key.
2. make sure that the language of your contract protects you, that you can't be fucked out of your money. honestly, this is so common it isn't even funny.
3. aside from that, its great - if you can live off of your base, and you get compensated on how well you achieve the company's goals, then everyone wins.

I've had pretty much every job I've had in 20 years with a significant part of my income tied to performance. I've been fucked over more times than I could tell you, but I've also made some pretty good money, including on some of the years I've been fucked over. not crazy good money, but not bad money.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. make sure that your base covers your nut. that is key.
2. make sure that the language of your contract protects you, that you can't be fucked out of your money. honestly, this is so common it isn't even funny.
3. aside from that, its great - if you can live off of your base, and you get compensated on how well you achieve the company's goals, then everyone wins.

I've had pretty much every job I've had in 20 years with a significant part of my income tied to performance. I've been fucked over more times than I could tell you, but I've also made some pretty good money, including on some of the years I've been fucked over. not crazy good money, but not bad money.
Screwing people out of pay is a big reason for employee theft. One way or another, people will get what they have coming to them.

Last edited:

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This.

Another possibility is to get equity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads