• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Professional Wrestling

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My night with the wrestlers: Must've been mid-80s. I was going to the Delta Marsh (nw of Winnipeg) to hunt ducks. A friend was driving his motorhome from my hometown. When I climbed the stairs into the coach, who was sitting at the dinette but Larry "The Axe" Henning!?! He'd wrestled under "Pretty Boy" in my teen years, and I'd not followed wrestling for years. Seems Axe was an acquaintance of my pal who was driving, so I settled into the setee for the 200 miles ride north with Axe providing a running commentary on everything he'd seen and done in his many years in the ring. As we approached Winnipeg, my pal said we had to detour to the airport there to pick up another guy, who'd been delayed out of Minneapolis. So the coach pulled to the curb outside the terminal building and a second hunter and I offered to go in and wait for Dick, who was due in a few minutes. The rest of the guys were quite into their cups by now, as cocktail hour was well underway. I went inside, found the proper gate, and while waiting for the plane I scanned the concourse and who did I spy leaning against the wall across the way but Andre the Giant himself. The guy was freaking huge! And ugly. But me being me, I sauntered over to Andre and leaned against the wall an arm's length from him. I quietly asked if he was, indeed, Andre the Giant, to which he replied, "Get the f*** outa here." I looked him in the eye (it was quite a strain as I craned my neck upward to meet his gaze) and said, "I know you're Andre. I'm with The Axe. You wanna go talk to him? Have a drink?" To which he again replied, "Get the f*** outa here." I finally turned full on to him and informed him that I had been riding with The Axe all day and he'd be quite disappointed if he learned I'd run into Andre and not invited him out to the coach for a bump. Finally Andre got sort of an inquisitive look on his face and he leaned down close to my face and said, "You're with Axe?" And with that, I turned and exited the terminal to where the coach was idling at the curb. When I opened the door to the coach and Andre saw that Axe was, indeed, inside, he leapt like a little boy. He raced up the stairs (which was quite a sight) and he and Axe belly-bumped and hugged, slapping one another on the backs. Andre explained that he and the "boys" were in town for a show that night, and that Axe should come to town and party afterwards. By now the flight had arrived, and Dick, who'd flown from Minneapolis, was standing among about a dozen other wrestlers who were on the card that night. Mad Dog was there, as was Greg Gagne (his father had retired by that time), Rick Martell and a bunch of other guys whose names I've forgotten. Axe, by now inside the terminal, hugged them all and assured them that he'd see them that night. We parted, and after driving out to the Marsh, stowing our gear, eating a hearty camp dinner and a few more cocktails, Axe asked me to find a set of wheels for the night. This was his first trip to the camp, so he wasn't familiar at all with the cooks or guides who were all locals. So I talked one of the guides out of his pickup truck for the night and Axe, another hunter and I drove into Winnipeg, where we met up with the "boys" at the (then) Winnipeg Inn, downtown. Axe immediately found out the room number of the party, and we headed up the elevator. Before the doors even opened we could hear the commotion. The party had grown from just the "boys" unwinding after their "fights" to include at least a half-dozen local working girls. When we entered the room it was immediately apparent why there was such a clamor: Andre had the window open, and had one of the women hanging outside, upside down, grasping her only by her ankle. "You'll suck it, *****," was about all I could make out between the gal screaming and the wrestlers alternately telling Andre to pull the gal back inside and laughing hysterically. Cooler heads finally prevailed, and Andre brought the girl back inside. She was white as a ghost (understandibly) as we were on one of the top floors of the hotel), and she promptly locked herself into the bathroom. One of the other hookers went to the closed door and started talking to the gal inside. "Oh baby, it's okay," she said reassuringly. "It's not very long, but it's as big around as a coffee can." (Apparently this wasn't her first time meeting Andre!) The rest of the evening, believe it or not, devolved from that point into what was essentially a drunken orgy. All these wrestlers, a handful of hookers, and little ole' Rube (who is definitely not wrestler-size. I wouldn't have topped 150 pounds at that time), drinking seemingly bottomless bottles of booze, smoking Cubans and... A crazy night.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bergdorf Goodwill
Will you adopt me?

******* seconded. Holy crap.

worship.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Pro Wrestling is one guilty pleasure of mine. Watching professional wrestling on TV was the only thing me and my dad did together when I was a kid. They were like cartoons for me then: Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Macho Man, Piper, Andre, Koko B Ware... in their costumes and all that. I never believed for a moment it was real even back then, but the entertainment factor then is watching "rivalries" and "conflicts" heat up then come to a head in a ring. Growing up, I got to read about how professional wrestling came about from the territories to WWF buying them out, to the WWF vs. WCW rivalry, ECW..... Anyway, as far as "quality" (and I use that term very loosely) goes, the present WWE really sucks. I do hope that TNA and ROH gets better viewership and ratings. The "wrestling" they churn out is far better than WWE's "sports entertainment" as what they call it nowadays. BTW, I also learned recently that Abraham Lincoln was a professional wrestler before he stepped into politics. Wonder if they have aliases back then too: "Abe the Destroyer"? "Abraham 'the tower of power' Lincoln"?....
smile.gif

Mike

Reaction score
I was really into wrestling back in the "glory days" of the WWF in the 80s/90s, when I was really young. Then I got back into it when I was 13 or 14 for a few years. Once they started showing Smackdown, and it was on like 3 times a week it got too hard to follow, so I quit watching. I check it out occasionally now. A good friend of mine is really into pro wrestling, and he follows all the indie stuff like ROH and TNA and the like. I'll go with him to a bar near us that shows the WWE pay-per-views once in a while, more for the company and the atmosphere than to actually watch the event.

I did go to Wrestlemania this year, because its Wrestlemania and the tickets were free. Good show, good times with friends, not much more you could ask for {although a few of the matches were a little lame}.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
BTW, I also learned recently that Abraham Lincoln was a professional wrestler before he stepped into politics. Wonder if they have aliases back then too: "Abe the Destroyer"? "Abraham 'the tower of power' Lincoln"?....
smile.gif

He was The Liberator

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hoping to resurrect this thread in an effort to create an "Official" Professional Wrestling thread for those on the forum who are man enough to admit that they follow such a thing.

Feel free to comment or opine on your favorite wrestler, which organizations you follow (WWE, TNA, etc.), upcoming PPVs and the like.

FWIW, I'm a proud member of the Cenation. I've really been digging his storyline with The Nexus, although I wish they would have used it as a opportunity to turn him heel.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
I'll show my age:

Vern Gagne, Mad Dog Vachon, George "Scrap Iron" Gadaski.

One of the wildest nights of partying in my life was in Winnipeg with Larry "The Axe" Henning, Andre the Giant and a bunch of other All-Star Wrestlers! Insane!

He recently beat someone to death.

I too was into wraslin' through the 80's. I still have my Wrestling Album with "Real American" and "Grab them Cakes" by Junkyard Dawg. Those were the days of Jobbers, no named wrestlers who came in just to lose. Now everyone has a fued with everyone else. It does make it more exciting, but there is a lot less wrestling in wrestling nowadays. Its all about putting someone through a table.

Thanks Sabu.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
He recently beat someone to death.

I too was into wraslin' through the 80's. I still have my Wrestling Album with "Real American" and "Grab them Cakes" by Junkyard Dawg. Those were the days of Jobbers, no named wrestlers who came in just to lose. Now everyone has a fued with everyone else. It does make it more exciting, but there is a lot less wrestling in wrestling nowadays. Its all about putting someone through a table.

Thanks Sabu.

I think this has to be taken with a grain of salt. While there is probably less wrestling action per minute of programming today than there was 25 years ago, there is significantly more programming these day. In '85, at the height of Hulkamania, there was maybe a 1 hr weekly recap show from house shows that week. Now the WWE has two different two hour weekly episodic shows.

If you are talking about the content of what constitutes a wrestling match that has definitely changed (IMO, for the better) over the past 25 years. Yeah, you might have had a 15 minute long match chocked full of head locks and arm drags, but that isn't very interesting. I would much rather see TLC or cruiser style (like in TNA) matches.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
greatest tag team: road warriors
greatest announcer: gordon solie
greatest entertainer: stone cold
greatest freakshow: kamala or kabuki

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
greatest tag team: road warriorsi

Certainly a lot of contenders here, but not a bad answer.

I was always a big WWE guy up until a few years ago, so I never had the pleasure of listening to him.

No question.

I think Mankind might be my favorite freak

I'll add:

Greatest Performer: HBK

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's the problem with the Road Warriors. They're matches were usually very short. I would have to say the greatest tag team was the Hart Foundation. Road Warriors are a very close second though.

Greatest Announcer: Mean Gene
Entertainer: Dusty Rhoades
Freakshow: Abdullah the Butcher

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any Goldust fans?

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Boy, that post takes me back a few years. I could substitute The Rock for Stone Cold, and maybe - MAYBE - the (early) Steiner brothers for the Road Warriors.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads