• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Professional Shirt Suggestions

blacksamurai30

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Im a medical student entering my 3rd year. Ive been on the forums for a while, and have been wondering if anyone can suggest to me 5-6 basic dress shirt styles/colours that I should have for the upcoming rotations. Medical students seem to be generally...poorly dressed. Im not trying to make a statement or anything, but I appreciate a nice clean well fitting look. Since Im kind of new on this side of the forum, I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for starting out. I really appreciate it! If anyone has any good tie suggestions that would be great as well!

Jacobs

Reaction score
Here are six common shirts:

1.) White broadcloth or poplin.
2.) White with faint blue pencil stripes broadcloth or poplin.
3.) Light blue twill.
4.) White gingham or tattersall in a reddish hue.
5.) White with blue bengal stripes.
6.) White or blue OCBD.

IChen

Reaction score
Besides what others have written you can also try lavender along with the pale pink.

blacksamurai30

Reaction score
Really appreciate the advice guys! In terms of brands to avoid/look for any suggestions?

blacksamurai30

Reaction score
Probably 100ish per shirt I think is fine considering how much I'd be wearing them in the next two years. I'm used to just buying second hand on eBay so I'm not certain how much to spend if I get it new

Jacobs

Reaction score
At that price I've heard good things about Ledbury.

Tacosauce

Reaction score
Goto a discount store and try to find a RTW shirt that fits well. At that price point, anything requiring minimal alterations is going to be your best bet. Club Monoco is having a nice sale on shirts. CM is part of the RL family so you can't go wrong with them.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure he can go wrong with that. Club Monaco's dress shirts aren't real dress shirts. They aren't even sized (neck and sleeve measurements). Might as well go for Ralph Lauren on sale or many other options. Cheaping out by buying multi-packs is always tempting and likely wrong, because if the fit or quality isn't up to par, there are now multiple disappointments.

Tacosauce

Reaction score
Sure he can go wrong with that. Club Monaco's dress shirts aren't real dress shirts. They aren't even sized (neck and sleeve measurements). Might as well go for Ralph Lauren on sale or many other options. Cheaping out by buying multi-packs is always tempting and likely wrong, because if the fit or quality isn't up to par, there are now multiple disappointments.

Pretty amazing how you just assume the fit isn't going to work. Also, as a student i'm pretty sure oxfords are going to work just fine.

RL is another fine choice at that price point. One of the forum sponsers Epaulet is another pretty great option for shirting. They have a bunch of options to get the fit right. I put in an order consisting of 5 shirts from them. I'll let you know how it turns out.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't spend too much on shirts as a medical student. Charles Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin have frequent promotions where you can pick shirts up for about $30-40 each. They are decent shirts, especially for the price.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't spend too much on shirts as a medical student. Charles Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin have frequent promotions where you can pick shirts up for about $30-40 each. They are decent shirts, especially for the price.

I second Charles Tyrwhitt and TM Lewin. However, the thing I don't like about English dress shirts is that the waist and hip areas are usually too tapered.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the student chooses to buy $100 shirts why discourage him? This is Styleforum not Frugal Forum. Plus he's not an English major; likely he'll have a good job after graduating.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is Styleforum not Frugal Forum.
Are you implying that being stylish and frugal are mutually exclusive? Anyhow, after graduation there are usually several more years of being (relatively) underpaid during residency and/or fellowship.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads