1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Profanity

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Steve B., Mar 28, 2006.

1. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

2. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Profanity? On this forum? Why, I never!

Jon.

3. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

I think it's The Sopranos effect. Tough guys and wannabe tough guys.

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I think it's The Sopranos effect. Tough guys and wannabe tough guys.

LOL. You mean telephone tough guys. People who are tough far away, but will cower in real life.

Jon.

5. Steve B.

Steve B. Senior member

Saw a History of Violence last night.

Viggo as a tough guy.

Interesting movie...

6. dusty

dusty Senior member

All the casual use of the word fuck on this board is getting annoying. It seems like people are just doing it to seem edgy.

7. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

All the casual use of the word fuck on this board is getting annoying. It seems like people are just doing it to seem edgy.

Or they are just copycats... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jon.

8. Oddly Familiar

Oddly Familiar Senior member

In older books, swearing was used to show the ultimate change in characters. Usually from good to bad, or from bad to worse. I swear to get the point across on occasion, but I hear people curse 4 or 5 times in 3 word sentences. Think about that for a minute... [​IMG]

9. Vaclav

Vaclav Senior member

Or they are just copycats... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jon.

Why copy the cat boring?

10. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Saw a History of Violence last night.

Viggo as a tough guy.

Interesting movie...

Really? I didn't think it was especially interesting at all. Dude tries to run away from past, past catches up with dude, dude has to confront demons from past. The acting wasn't even very good--I don't get the hype.

Tom

11. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

Really? I didn't think it was especially interesting at all. Dude tries to run away from past, past catches up with dude, dude has to confront demons from past. The acting wasn't even very good--I don't get the hype.

To a certain extent I agree, Tom. I think that some of the hype, though, comes from people who were surprised to feel conflicted about the violence. I think a lot of people went to the movie expecting a screed against violence, and instead the most interesting and compelling scenes were fight scenes, and in the end violence was effectively used to solve the problem. I thought the movie made basically no interesting points about actual real-life violence, but I thought that it did make for an interesting examination into how we perceive violence in our fiction. I may have been reading things into it that just weren't there, though, who knows.

12. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Interesting point. It's certainly nothing new for a movie to end with violence making everything a-okay! but if this one got people thinking and reacting rather than just staring numbly, then great. Of course, I'm not really sure we as a society need to be getting more comfortable with violence right now.

I did think the best part of the movie was Viggo's confrontation with his brother.

13. javyn

javyn Senior member

fuck fuckiddy fuck fuck fuck

balls

rimjob