Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Prof Fab's Random Beautiful Writing & Stories Thread

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by rach2jlc, Jan 3, 2011.

1. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

Use this thread to post stories that, for some reason, struck you. I'm thinking of published stories, or those that you can find online, newspaper stories, anything that makes for interesting (relatively short) reading. They don't have to be happy, sad, or anything else... just something that surprised you when you read it.

I'll start and will post one-per-day (and encourage others to post any they've found/read).

I'm not a big Douglas Adams fan, but when I read Chapter Two of "So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish," I was really struck by this story:

2. Matt

Matt [email protected]

there is a passage out of The Book Thief that I have to get around to copy-n-pasting here from somewhere.

I loved that book btw....

3. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

My favourite chapter of any book is probably "The Prince's Tale" from Deathly Hallows.

4. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

Between Rushdie, Hitch, and Hemingway I could probably find a few memorable spots. Off the top of my head, Haroun and the Sea of Stories had the best opening of any book I recall reading, and cemented Rushdie as one of my favorite novelists. I'll try to find it.

5. rach2jlc

rach2jlc Prof. Fabulous Dubiously Honored

My favourite chapter of any book is probably "The Prince's Tale" from Deathly Hallows.

SOOOO.... find it online and cut/paste. The point is to give people an easy thing to read, not something that they then have to search.

Between Rushdie, Hitch, and Hemingway I could probably find a few memorable spots. Off the top of my head, Haroun and the Sea of Stories had the best opening of any book I recall reading, and cemented Rushdie as one of my favorite novelists. I'll try to find it.

Excellent, please do! I've read a lot of Rushdie, but not that one.

I'll update this post tomorrow with another excerpt, probably one of my favorite bits from Murakami...

6. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

here we go:
    There was once, in the country of Alifbay, a sad city, the saddest of cities, a city so ruinously sad that it had forgotten its name. It stood by a mournful sea full of glumfish, which were so miserable to eat that they made people belch with melancholy even though the skies were blue. In the north of the sad city stood mighty factories in which (so I'm told) sadness was actually manufactured, packaged, and sent all over the world, which never seemed to get enough of it. Black smoke poured out of the chimneys of the sadness factories and hung over the city like bad news. And in the depths of the city, beyond an old zone of ruined buildings that looked like broken hearts, there lived a happy young fellow by the name of Haroun, the only child of the storyteller Rashid Khalifa, whose cheerfulness was famous throughout that unhappy metropolis, and whose never-ending stream of tall, short, and winding tales had earned him not one but two nicknames. To his admirers he was Rashid the Ocean of Notions, as stuffed with cheery stories as the sea was full of glumfish; but to his jealous rivals he was the Shah of Blah. To his wife, Soraya, Rashid was for many years as loving a husband as anyone could wish for, and during those years Haroun grew up in a home in which, instead of misery and frowns, he had his father's ready laughter and his mother's sweet voice raised in song.
    FWIW, he just released Luka and the Fire of Life, which is supposed to be in the same vein as Haroun. Will read that soon.

7. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Couldn't find the whole chapter but here is an excerpt:

8. ohm

ohm Senior member

I like this Hemingway short story.

9. BDC2823

BDC2823 Senior member

My favorite short story is probably The War Prayer from Twain:

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge [​IMG]

11. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

this thread should be titled "tl;dr"

12. Homme

Homme Senior member

I liked this passage from Agnes Grey

13. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

Robert Caro's description of LBJ, as a young Congressional aide, running up Capitol Hill every morning in order to see the sun hit the Capitol's dome. Majestic.

14. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

The thread has received my personal stamp of approval.

15. Pilot

Pilot Senior member