• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Product photos - what do you prefer?

MenswearBabe

Reaction score
Ok, so I am a product photographer (one of several) and I photograph menswear. Trouble is:

I am an artist (painter) by education and I suppose I am naturally wired to always go for artsy composition as far as product photography. Any time I have something of superb craftsmanship or fabric or whatnot (which is often) that can be draped nicely or shot extreme close-up, or I catch some detail that is "sexy" to me, I want to feature it the way I experience it. It doesn't "help" I suppose that I am a bit OCD/fetishy and I appreciate surfing along the edge of the subtle sexy when I shoot my product photos (draping cloth to somewhat resemble human body curves etc...)

Here's where my boss-man comes in. He knows what works and what's been working for a decade to keep the business successful. Front, back, side, brand name, detail, solid background - BAM - it's looks good. I have nothing against that. It also makes sense to simplify the process if you think about time spent per item photo-shoot and the costs of having it accomplished. Naturally, it's in everyone's interest to keep the costs of this lower so that we can sell the items at a better price to customers.

Now, I want to know your subjective experience is with this as a customer of online clothing stores.
Do you mostly care to see brand name, shape and color of the item? Or...do you indeed appreciate when photos show you detail such as an extreme close-up of ...say... mother of pearl button reflecting light or shoe-lace holes and the beautiful symmetry of fine Italian shoe hand stitching etc...

Do you think you are more or less likely to purchase something after you've seen a composition which may be a bit redundant as to simply illustrating what you're buying but *can* definitely be very pleasant to the eye, exploiting artistic composition, patterns/colors while simultaneously being honest and giving you a very close-up experience of detail that would otherwise only be available to you if you had the item in your hands...

(I have some photos in my profile, if you aren't sure what I mean...)

:)

MenswearBabe

Reaction score
lookaround.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads