• We would like to welcome Lazy Sun as an official Affiliate Vendor. Lazy Sun is a shop in Park City with a focus on brands that believe function shouldn’t come at the expense of form. Please visit the Lazy Sun thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Process of rewaxing "ruined" Babour

kingcrab

Reaction score
Hello!
I recently came across a second-hand Barbour jacket that looks as though it had received quite a beating in it's former life, I suspect with time or mistreatment the wax has been almost entirely removed. After some research on the internet some sources have informed that once the underlying base-layer of wax is removed the jacket cannot be reproofed. I would love to restore this jacket, as it has no other damage to it than the waxy texture being absent. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the jacket was ever washed, then, according to Barbour, it cannot be reproofed.

You could send it in to Barbour and have them assess it. Otherwise, buy a can of their wax and do it as a DIY project. Their are plenty of tutorials on how to do it.

kingcrab

Reaction score
If the jacket was ever washed, then, according to Barbour, it cannot be reproofed.

You could send it in to Barbour and have them assess it. Otherwise, buy a can of their wax and do it as a DIY project. Their are plenty of tutorials on how to do it.
Thank you. I'll give the DIY reproof a shot and keep this forum updated for posterity.

Featured Sponsor

What is the most important handwork to have on a shirt?

• Hand attached collar

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Handsewn button holes

Votes: 17 32.1%
  • Hand finish on yolk and shoulders

Votes: 20 37.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CounterStatementco