• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Problems with the Andy Forum

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anybody else been having problems with the "Ask Andy Forum" in the last couple of days? For a while it seemed to have overcome the oxcart-like sluggishness that chronically bedeviled it and was working pretty efficiently, but now it seems worse than ever. I lost a lengthy post yesterday because everything just seemed to stall, and since then, it seems almost impossible to access the Andy Forum or move about in it.

For that matter, I find I cannot access the Temporary Style Forum if I use Mozilla but I can with Microsoft Internet Explorer. What gives? (I really know next to nothing about computers and the Net.)

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you that haven't (or been unable to) visit "Ask Andy" recently, there's a terrific recent thread on Savile Row, with informative comments by Manton and photos by Scott. Well worth reading, IMO.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Andy's server went down yesterday for a few minutes. It was back up last time I checked, though. What I typically do on unreliable servers (sometimes even my own.) is to highlight long posts and copy them to either the clipboard or a text file until I am sure they have posted properly.

As for the temp forum, I am not sure what the problem is. I will have to install Mozilla on this computer and check it out.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
What I typically do on unreliable servers (sometimes even my own.) is to highlight long posts and copy them to either the clipboard or a text file until I am sure they have posted properly.
Yes, I learned that lesson the hard way, too.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I learned long ago always to write longish AA posts first on a word processer, then save them, then (and only then) try to post them.

armscye

Reaction score
Alas, Andy is the poster child of lost opportunity-- a variety of New York Times and similar mentions, longevity, an audience of clotheshorses with exquisite taste, yet no noticeable improvements in years.

He posted once that his revenues from the site's banner referrals were $30 or $40 a quarter. Everybody and his dog has diagnosed the technical issues with the site, made suggestions on rebannering and homepage redesign, and Andy has done essentially nothing.

I haven't posted there in a year-- I refuse to spend a half hour logging in and bringing up his Forum.

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is the slowest internet site I have ever used in my life. Literally. But, still, great stuff when you have the time actually to call up the pages.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alas, Andy is the poster child of lost opportunity-- a variety of New York Times and similar mentions, longevity, an audience of clotheshorses with exquisite taste, yet no noticeable improvements in years.

He posted once that his revenues from the site's banner referrals were $30 or $40 a quarter. Everybody and his dog has diagnosed the technical issues with the site, made suggestions on rebannering and homepage redesign, and Andy has done essentially nothing.

I haven't posted there in a year-- I refuse to spend a half hour logging in and bringing up his Forum.
Yeah I don't get it either. I wish it ran as well as Style Forum.

marc37

Reaction score
l have written long messages on Ask Andy (typing for 10 - 15 minutes) only to lose the message. Very frustrating at times.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have helped Andy a little...you might notice that the front page loads much faster because two of his pictures no longer are a combined 1MB in size
smile.gif
At any rate, perhaps we could pitch in and give him a hand. Never hurts to have more than one fast clothing related forum.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, it seems the complaints about AA tends to fall into one of two categories: the reliability and speed of the server hosting his web site and the shortcomings of design for his web site.

Neither one is terribly difficult to solve. Inexpensive but reliable servers are a dime a dozen while web site designer to come up with a more elegant (and reader friendly) web site.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads