• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Problems with a strong chest

Stugotes

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I talked to a bespoke tailor yesterday, because no suit fits me off the rack. I guess I got a freaky body in some way, as my suits always do this:

(Posture exaggerated to display the problem)

Am I correct in assuming that this happens b/c the jacket is too tight in the chest? I have a rather broad chest compared to my shoulders, so RTW suits that fit well in the shoulder won't fit in the chest. TF suits are a sole exception, as they kinda fit an atlethic build, but they're not perfect either and thus way too expensive to not fit perfectly.

So, with a strong chest (and shoulders a little off in relation) and also a very(!) slim waist, can a bespoke tailor pull this off? With all my questions about the garments he uses and stylistic details, I forgot to ask him... ahem...

tricky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same here. What suit is that?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd think a tailor could handle this easily on a bespoke jacket.

Stugotes

Reaction score
...ok, I was asking to make sure that it won't be too much of a hassle later on in the tailoring process.

Suit is Gucci.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

...ok, I was asking to make sure that it won't be too much of a hassle later on in the tailoring process.

Suit is Gucci.
A RTW suit may be a different story. I'd think one cut for an athletic build would provide the best fit.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, with a strong chest (and shoulders a little off in relation) and also a very(!) slim waist, can a bespoke tailor pull this off? With all my questions about the garments he uses and stylistic details, I forgot to ask him... ahem...

ahem...........is the Pope Catholic?

Make sure you go to a reputable tailor.

Lots of people claim to be bespoke tailor.

Stugotes

Reaction score
ahem...........is the Pope Catholic?
Make sure you go to a reputable tailor.
Lots of people claim to be bespoke tailor.

He's he only one in town, as far as I know. He doesn't have a website or even email address and does everything on the premisses. He's the cutter and has four other assiociates. I talked to him for a while, he offers MtM and Bespoke, told me the Bespoke ones are hand sewn and nothing's fused. He took over the business from his father, yadda yadda yadda.

Being German, there aren't so many real master tailors around and going to London or Italy is a matter of cost.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
RTW won't accomodate this. You may measure 42 but the girth of your front chest may need to be cut the same as a 44 or even 46 to give enough cloth to cover your chest and some cloth taken off across the back.
44 front width and a back width of a 40 = 42 chest but you need more cloth across the front and less elsewhere. If you buy the bigger size to cover your chest the jacket is too large elsewhere and not easy or possible to alter.

The best part of getting a bespoke grade suit is if the tailor makes his own canvass. He can create more shape in the canvass to lay smoothly over your chest. This is the most important element to fit a full chest. It is a superior solution, even over going MTM where they would use a ready made canvass.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

He's he only one in town, as far as I know. He doesn't have a website or even email address and does everything on the premisses. He's the cutter and has four other assiociates. I talked to him for a while, he offers MtM and Bespoke, told me the Bespoke ones are hand sewn and nothing's fused. He took over the business from his father, yadda yadda yadda.

Being German, there aren't so many real master tailors around and going to London or Italy is a matter of cost.

At least in the US one can can find many offerings in RTW that are cut more generously than the contemporary
"slim suit". These can be altered to accommodate your build. I have the same problem and when I was your
age I had what is called and "atheletic" build. I wore 42 R(US) with a 33-34 inch waist. I now wear 44R,
in Belvest, Isaia, Partenopea, Battistoni. All fit with minimal alterations.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads