• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Problem with Custom Shirt -- What would you do?

uluvbs

Reaction score
So I went back to try on and pick up my first shirt being made by a local tailor.

Overall, it was OK, but the chest was buckling/puckering, likely due to the armholes being too small, it was explained to me.

He agreed to re-make the sleeves, which he says will be done with wider openings and will help widen the armholes and help alleviate the problem. (Does this sound correct?)

The other issue, which I only briefly mentioned to him, is I feel the shoulders are too narrow. It looks presentable right now, but I'm concerned about how it will look after washing. To take care of this, he would have a re-do the entire shirt. Should I chalk this up to bad luck and just work to improve my next shirt, or ask that he just start from scratch?

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will he be charging you for the re-make and was the fault your or his?

I wouldn't accept anything other than a correct fit from a tailor who was fitting me, but if I'd given him measurements and told him to make a shirt, then I'd have no recourse to complain when the fit was wrong.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shirt #1 is often part of the R&D budget. If it's not flagrantly incorrect, make your comments and have them added to your file. The next batch will be better.

uluvbs

Reaction score
To answer your question, I didn't give him my measurements - I went there in person about one month ago to be measured - so I'd have to say most of my complaints are either his fault or due to creative differences.

He is not charging to re-do the sleeves, although I'm not sure how much this will resolve the issue of the armholes being too small. (Anyone know??).

I didn't ask if there would be a charge to completely remake the shirt, which of course would resolve the issue with the yoke/shoulders being too narrow.

MrInvariant

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uluvbs
... I feel the shoulders are too narrow.

The shoulder width is personal preference (to some extent). If the shoulders are not unacceptably narrow, then I think I would not request a remake just because of this. Just be sure to communicate your preference for the next time.

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
I'm sure the tailor will make it right for you and at no charge. This is why you go to a brick and mortar store rather than buy a "custom" shirt online.
Usually the first shirt is a try-on or sample as for the tailor to see what type of fit the client likes/needs. Then the rest are made based upon the corrections. That said, 95% of the shirts I make I very rarely use a try-on unless the client is a "difficult" fit or wants something other than what they should be wearing.

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with Tony that the tailor will re-make the shirt for you. Re-doing the armholes and sleeves suggests to me that he'll re-make most of the shirt in the process.

I also agree that the first shirt won't be perfect. You'll tweak the pattern on the way to your next shirts. Make sure you wear and wash the new shirt 5-6 times before tweaking the pattern. Custom shirts are a process.

uluvbs

Reaction score
Thank you.

And do you think re-doing the sleeves will be sufficient to enlarge the armholes, or must the entire shirt be re-made?

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.