• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Problem with boots catching hem

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of these in black.
edwardgreenbootsphotos0ab1.jpg

I'm not sure what those metal eyes at the top are called, but they're constantly catching the hems of my slacks. They'll either catch the hem itself, or pull out the thread holding them up. It's infuriating. Before a take a pair of pliers to them, anything you might suggest?

quevola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain - I have the same damm problem when I wear my SA Madison boots with slacks.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
They're usually referred to as lace hooks. I can't say that I've ever had this problem when I wear my boots - do you not use the hooks when you lace them up perhaps?

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
They're usually referred to as lace hooks. I can't say that I've ever had this problem when I wear my boots - do you not use the hooks when you lace them up perhaps?

Thanks for ther term, makes sense. In response to your question, yes, I certainly do use them when lacing them up. I've experimented with tying them tightly (so that the hooks are literally adjacent) and loosely. Nothing helps.

southbound35

Reaction score
If your pants are cuffed, it's possible that a loose blind stitch was used to make the hem. This stitch is is often used for a non-cuffed pant so that the stitch is not visible (or only slightly so). Unfortunately this type of stitch lends itself to being caught. But, a non- or nearly non-visible stitch isn't necessary for a cuffed pant since the portion of the pant with the stitch is covered by the cuff. So, if the pants in question are cuffed, you could request your tailor to put a normal hem under the cuff. The fact that the stitch goes all the way through the fabric won't be a concern since it would be covered by a cuff.

If the pants in question are not cuffed, I defer to a tailor with a better idea for making an "invisible" stitch that doesn't lend itself to being caught.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
I have three pairs of boots with lace hooks, and I do use them. However, I've never had the problem.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to imagine the frequency of this problem would be in relation to how long you have your pants hammed. More break in the pants would tend to keep the stitch in question below the lace-hooks, no? If you go no-break, the stitch will have to pass the hooks whenever you try to cross your legs etc.

Maybe you just need more break
confused.gif

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What make are those? That's too bad, most quality speed hooks are shaped to avoid this problem. Is there some sort of sharp angle on them?

If they were really tearing up my dress trousers, there really isn't much you can do, I'm sure it would be really hard to replace with better hooks? I would probably just wear them with jeans.

excuse the size of this image, but the best speedhooks I have seen are on premium logger-type boots, they are almost spherical in shape, really low profile, and catch on nothing.

105CPACK.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
I have to imagine the frequency of this problem would be in relation to how long you have your pants hammed. More break in the pants would tend to keep the stitch in question below the lace-hooks, no? If you go no-break, the stitch will have to pass the hooks whenever you try to cross your legs etc.

Maybe you just need more break
confused.gif

My pants have very little break but the hem doesn't catch on the hooks.

finch

Reaction score
Do you wear a slim or wide leg pant? I prefer a wider pant/slacks and I've never had an issue with my boots that have quick lace hooks. Just a thought...

Thurston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there enough length in the laces to pass them over the hooks twice? If there is, I would think that sort of filling up the space inside of the hook would minimize the problem.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by finch
Do you wear a slim or wide leg pant? I prefer a wider pant/slacks and I've never had an issue with my boots that have quick lace hooks. Just a thought...
My pants are slim-fit. The diameter of the opening on the pants I'm currently wearing appears to be about 8" with 2" cuffs. I'm wearing shell high boots today and haven't had my trousers catch on the hooks at all.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hem tape over the stitch should fix that up.

finch

Reaction score
Good call!
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Hem tape over the stitch should fix that up.

emptym

Reaction score
But wouldn't the tape itself have to be stitched in? There might then be two rows of stitching instead of one...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics