1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Problem drinking (when is it too much)

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Mr. Walter Trent, Mar 19, 2010.

1. fabiola7386

fabiola7386 New Member

Hello Mr. Walter Trent...
    It is only harmful when you drink too much and get addicted to your drink whatever it may be..
    so do have a control in your drinking.

Drug Rehab

2. blackjack

blackjack Senior member

Since celebrating my 50th birthday, I've been reflecting on my health and I've started to wonder if my lifestyle is as healthy as I always thought. According to the doctor, I'm healthy (no major or minor illnesses) and fit (weekly exercise).

But, I drink.

I've always felt that something isn't a problem until it interferes with work. I don't miss work because I'm hungover and I never feel sick or overly tired in the morning. But, I drink a bottle of wine or 1500 to 2000 ml of beer per night (every night). Obviously, on special occasions I do over do things. But, I know to stay within my limit when necessary.

Here, among friends (who hopefully have a similar outlook as me), I want to ask where the line is. What separates us from the real problem drinkers?

Wally

I'd say it's when you get physical warning signs like a fatty liver or when it does interfere with your regular life in the form of hangovers, blackouts or too many actions you later regret (or have no recollection of). However, it does not sound like you have any of those issues.

The only other question might be what would happen if you chose to lay off the booze for a week or two... if you discover you can't go without and even get withdrawal symptoms - you might have some physical or psychological dependence issues. However, that happens to me when I am deprived of coffee -- and you don't see me rushing off to Coffeeholics Anonymous.

Otherwise, enjoy the next 50 years.

[​IMG]

3. ErnestoG.

ErnestoG. Senior member

I got in the habit of pouring a scotch everyday after class (5pm or 7pm) and I found that I would start snacking on chips or nuts etc every night.

One thing I found that works really well for me to cut back is to drink a glass or water or juice instead of the scotch. Any desire I had for a nice usually goes away quickly and I am able to have a more productive night instead of just watching tv and having a glass of scotch.

4. mr.loverman

mr.loverman Senior member

Most alcoholics dismiss their behavior as normal. This is very true of college students. Just because all their friends get shitfaced they think it is normal behavior, when in fact the average college student has pretty moderate drinking habits. I'd say you definitely have a problem. If you are drinking that much then you shouldn't be driving. No driving in the evenings? I'd say that's impacting your life.

5. dl20

dl20 Senior member

Interesting post. I drink 2-3 beers a night as part of my unwinding ritual and have, at times, questioned whether it was becoming an issue. There has never been any functional impairment as a result of my drinking and my doctor says it is fine healthwise. Whenever I need to stock-up I tend to drag my feet for whatever reason and see how I feel without drinking for a few days. I never give it a second thought.

The only rule I tend to follow for myself is not to consume any alcohol when I'm particularly stressed out. People who tend to drink when under stress oftentimes find themselves craving it as part of their stress response. Not something I want to condition my body to do.

DL

6. Beetleything

Beetleything Senior member

Dean Martin said - your not drunk until you have to hold on to the carpet.

That's good enough for me.

7. Matt

Matt Senior member

I answered yes to more than three but dont consider myself an alchy. Am I in denial?.

same. I came in at 11 of them, and I don't even drink that much....seriously.

8. Hehlol

Hehlol Senior member

I think the AA quiz might be a little one-sided so that it makes many people without drinking problems believe they have drinking problems. It's their shtick.

9. zhouyu

zhouyu Senior member

4-6 bottles of scotch or cognac between like 12-15 ppl almost every weekend... + beer
    i occassionally pour myself a drink @ work... well my boss encourages it...

10. Strombollii

Strombollii Senior member

Drinking age is 19. I did Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday for a little bit last year, but it adversely affected my school work too much. I'm not an arts or a business student, I'm in chemistry, 25 hours of class/lab a week. I can't party like a history major.

I'm an English major. I can't afford to drink more than Friday/Saturday/maybe Thursday. I was partying hard for a bit, but it started to devastate my GPA, as well as, shockingly, my social life.

Sorry, I just absolutely hate how everyone perceives the hard sciences to be more difficult and time consuming than the humanities.

11. airblaster503

airblaster503 Senior member

You can rarely drink to much, but you can drink too little. If that busted broad at the end of the bar is still ugly, than you know you haven't had enough, but if she is looking good, then you have crossed the line. This line is thin, and to learn to walk it is an art form, tread carefully.

12. tdangio

tdangio Senior member

I'm an English major. I can't afford to drink more than Friday/Saturday/maybe Thursday. I was partying hard for a bit, but it started to devastate my GPA, as well as, shockingly, my social life.

Sorry, I just absolutely hate how everyone perceives the hard sciences to be more difficult and time consuming than the humanities.

English at UNC-Wilmington, pffft, come on, it's a state school.

13. Strombollii

Strombollii Senior member

English at UNC-Wilmington, pffft, come on, it's a state school.
    Who's at UNC-W? Edit: I've been working on a paper all day and am not all here. I don't go to UNCW. I live on the Outer Banks.