• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proactiv..for better or worse???

arrogant

Reaction score
I just recently starting using Proactiv (just the cleanser)...

After 2 weeks, I have realized that it has significantly increased redness on face as well as acne. I used to have little to no acne and I figured Proactiv would get ride of it but to my surprise it has made everything worse..

Any advice or similar experiences using Proactiv????

arrogant

Reaction score
Although,I must say that my skin does feel much smoother but still the results, in terms of appearance, are a disaster

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Maybe your skin is senstive and you're overdoing it.

I just use the exfoliating scrub and the repairing lotion twice a day. Maybe try once a day.... With quality, mild facial soap and water and proactive moisturizer whenever you're not using the Proactive scrub and lotion.

murv

Reaction score
i use the three step process, twice a day, and i have had SIGNIFICANT results.

before i used proactive, i had crazy amounts of acne around my face, and after one or two months of continued use, all of it was basically gone. now after a year of continued use, i'm basically acne free with healthy clear skin. i love it.

so in my case, it was for better. maybe montecristo's right, your skin may be very sensitive and you're over doing it.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
proactive is benzoyl peroxide, the same ingredient in Oxy 10 and Noxema, all those terrible substances which prey on teen insecurity. Still it can work, but what it does is reduce your skin tendency to produce oil.

The other option is a mild anti biotic which is available by prescription. I have been using Clyndamycin 1.0%. It completely eliminated my mild acne.

Oddly Familiar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
proactive is benzoyl peroxide, the same ingredient in Oxy 10 and Noxema, all those terrible substances which prey on teen insecurity. Still it can work, but what it does is reduce your skin tendency to produce oil.

The other option is a mild anti biotic which is available by prescription. I have been using Clyndamycin 1.0%. It completely eliminated my mild acne.

I use minocycline, and it works wonderfully.

ben

Reaction score
i used the proactiv system for years...with what i call OK results. Better than most other products.

Then my roommate told me about the site http://www.acne.org

I've been on that system (which is much cheaper btw) for about 6 months now, with OUTSTANDING results.
I highly recommend it, but requires some patience. It took me about 2 months to see results, but my face is much clearer and healthier looking than it ever was on proactiv.
Check it out!

peace
ben

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been using the cleanser (and only the cleanser) for years. As long as I am using it, my skin stays clear. If I stop, I start having problems. It is also important for me to drink a lot of water, but the Proactiv is at least half the equation.

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I disagree the benzoyl peroxide is the only thing going for proactiv. I tried A LOT of benzoyl peroxide products before proactiv and none of them had much effect on my skin.

PatriotsFan

Reaction score
I tried using Proactiv when I was younger and it only aggravated the situation. So basically, I was in the same boat as you in my teens. The best solution for acne is to go to a dermatologist, since different acne medications react differently on every person depending on variables like skin type, allergic reactions, and other medications currently being taken.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads