• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PRL made in the USA

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just recently bought two Polo Ralph Lauren items"” one sportcoat and on suit"”and to my astonishment and pleasure, they were both handmade and canvassed. I had never before seen a canvassed PRL jacket; even the ones made in Itali by Cornelliani have fused canvasses. But these beauties are of a much higher quality. They are made in the U.S.A.

Does anyone have any info into this PRL line? Who makes it? Tell me whatever you can!
smile.gif

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As I discovered myself, some time ago....there are some real gems in the older made in the USA stuff.

Originally, I believe Norman Hilton was the maker. However, there was a falling out and I don't know who took over after that point. There is a RL thread about makers, I would suggest you check that out. I am pretty sure I posted some questions regarding this in there.

That suit of mine you liked yesterday is the nicest USA made Polo I have. I also have a very nice DB, but it needs to be shortened.

Mike

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
As I discovered myself, some time ago....there are some real gems in the older made in the USA stuff.

Originally, I believe Norman Hilton was the maker. However, there was a falling out and I don't know who took over after that point. There is a RL thread about makers, I would suggest you check that out. I am pretty sure I posted some questions regarding this in there.

That suit of mine you liked yesterday is the nicest USA made Polo I have. I also have a very nice DB, but it needs to be shortened.

Mike

Hmmm... I didn't see that thread, but I searched for key terms...

Yeah, your suit was stunning. The blue jacket I recently posted about is unbelievable. And today I just got a stunning 3 pc from the same line. I can't believe I'm saying this, considering the extent of my admiration for RLPL, but I think this suit I got is nicer than most RLPL suits I've seen. It's truly fantastic! And I want more info on this line!

inlove.gif

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorialism
Hmmm... I didn't see that thread, but I searched for key terms...

Yeah, your suit was stunning. The blue jacket I recently posted about is unbelievable. And today I just got a stunning 3 pc from the same line. I can't believe I'm saying this, considering the extent of my admiration for RLPL, but I think this suit I got is nicer than most RLPL suits I've seen. It's truly fantastic! And I want more info on this line!

inlove.gif

Keep in mind that it is all over the place in terms of quality and style. I have had winners, and losers. However, more winners than losers.

I think the post is called something like Ralph Lauren a guide to makers.

Mike

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score

MBreinin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sartorialism
I just bought a new suit (or at least that's what the seller claimed
uhoh.gif
).

Polo has not made new suits in the USA in quite some time. It could be new, as in never worn though. There is a guy on E-Bay selling a bunch of USA Polos and calling them "new," although I seriously doubt they are new. Is that where you got it?

Mike

sartorialism

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MBreinin
Polo has not made new suits in the USA in quite some time. It could be new, as in never worn though. There is a guy on E-Bay selling a bunch of USA Polos and calling them "new," although I seriously doubt they are new. Is that where you got it?

Mike

Uhu.
redface.gif

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, any "made in the USA" RL Polo suit will be 10 years old or more.

Some of them are fantastic - I have three that I wear regularly and they are "timeless" in style (as much as you can say that about any item of clothing).

I have seen other US-made RL Polo suits, though, that look very dated with a low gorge and a very low buttoning stance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics