• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Private Dining in Los Angeles?

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd like to host a dinner in a private room in Los Angeles for about 30 people or so. Unfortunately, since I was born there, everyone expects me to know all the great spots--ignoring the fact that I haven't lived there since I was 18. So what do you guys think? Something with views would be nice, but the food/wine quality is more important. Not too casual, not too formal--I was thinking of Cafe del Rey in the Marina, but they're booked. Budget has to be under $100pp. Any thoughts?

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... I've hosted several private dinners in LA but cannot recall a room that'd accomodate 30. And those that had very good food PLUS wine were all closer to or above $200 per.

I'll see if my events manager has any ideas.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drago in Santa Monica? They have some private dining I believe. I think they had a private room, not sure for 30 though. http://www.celestinodrago.com/ I go to the Regency Club alot, nice views, good food, nice service...but a member has to book it.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Yes, I think I was once at a private party in Drago. If I recall correctly, they could probably accommodate a party that size.

I know that Il Fornaio in Beverly Hills has a private room in the back. I think it's probably tight for 30, although possibly doable. Prego in Beverly Hills also has a room upstairs they use for private parties. It's definitely large enough -- we did a couple of annual dinners for my old law firm there. Not sure about budget, though.

TheIdler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas, guys. After going through the available options (most of the ones suggested here were booked, but thanks!), we've decided to up our budget and consider the idea of a garden/patio. On our shortlist at the moment are these options:

Campanile
Wilshire
Lucques

Of those, does any one stand out for you? Or does anyone have other ideas now that we're thinking more like 150pp?

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those are all three good recommendations. As far as the food, I'd probably put Wilshire slightly ahead of lucques and campanile slightly behind. Service, I'd go with Lucques, Campanile then Wilshire. But the building Campanile is in is really special and I've been to private dinners in those dining rooms that were really cool. It's an old med revival that was originally built as charlie chaplin's studio (he lost it in a divorce before it ever opened). gorgeous, gorgeous tile work. really feels like a special occasion.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Hmmm... I've hosted several private dinners in LA but cannot recall a room that'd accomodate 30. And those that had very good food PLUS wine were all closer to or above $200 per. I'll see if my events manager has any ideas.
So this is why you guys are always asking for donations, huh?
crackup[1].gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as i said, i like both chefs and both places (and wilshire, too). i've had really good meals -- and some not-so-good meals -- at both.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cary Grant
Campanile is a nice space but I recall the food (it was just small plates) was "OK".

Food at Lucques
inlove.gif

Go to Peel's other place... The Tar Pit. And bring your kids along for happy hour.
lol8[1].gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Roikins
Go to Peel's other place... The Tar Pit. And bring your kids along for happy hour.
lol8[1].gif

oooh, that was bitchy, wasn't it? they were about to kill someone.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
oooh, that was bitchy, wasn't it? they were about to kill someone.

I'm surprised they didn't; I was very much expecting a food-land shooting.

Xericx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know any other recommendations between Beverly Hills and Westwood? Looking for some new spots/options. The Regency Club is closing at the end of this month and we have a few meetings per year about 30-40.....preferably with an A/V setup.

Having one at Tanino in Westwood next month...so we'll see how that goes. They have a private room upstairs...menu seemed good. we'll see....saw that Westside Tavern has private dining and the room looked nice, I sent an inquiry to them today.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads