• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Private Clubs

heavyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tomasso
crackup[1].gif

someone gets it.

auto90403

Reaction score
heavyd,

i used to live in chicago and was a member of several private clubs and went to all the others as a guest.

the only question that matters is who pays the bills. you or your company? if your company does, then join every one that'll have you as a member.

the other question is why are you joining a club? to entertain clients or to use their pool and squash courts?

if you're chicago club material, by all means join. it's one of the classiest such clubs in the nation. the cycle and saddle is an in-town country club up near where lake shore drive runs into hollywood ave. where gold coast types go to play tennis. the arts club has the best looking women in the dining room. the university club has a great health club and reciprocity with every other university club in the country -- good if you travel a lot and want a cheap place to stay. union league and standard club is full of junior level commerical bankers -- too tedious for words.

can't think of the rest.

heavyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by auto90403
heavyd,

i used to live in chicago and was a member of several private clubs and went to all the others as a guest.

the only question that matters is who pays the bills. you or your company? if your company does, then join every one that'll have you as a member.

the other question is why are you joining a club? to entertain clients or to use their pool and squash courts?

if you're chicago club material, by all means join. it's one of the classiest such clubs in the nation. the cycle and saddle is an in-town country club up near where lake shore drive runs into hollywood ave. where gold coast types go to play tennis. the arts club has the best looking women in the dining room. the university club has a great health club and reciprocity with every other university club in the country -- good if you travel a lot and want a cheap place to stay. union league and standard club is full of junior level commerical bankers -- too tedious for words.

can't think of the rest.

Thanks.

Company paying, entertain clients, latter two clubs you aren't partial to. My limited research leads me to believe it is not as big of a deal as I originally thought. Funny, we have has 2 bank meetings there already.

BTW, Chicago Club looks ideal, $8,500+ to join, not my level (yet).

Chicago is funny, like an old school caste system. Very unlike NYC.

auto90403

Reaction score
Originally Posted by heavyd
Thanks.

Company paying, entertain clients, latter two clubs you aren't partial to. My limited research leads me to believe it is not as big of a deal as I originally thought. Funny, we have has 2 bank meetings there already.

BTW, Chicago Club looks ideal, $8,500+ to join, not my level (yet).

Chicago is funny, like an old school caste system. Very unlike NYC.

yeah, chicago club is the only one in town that will look you over very very carefully before inviting you to join. i was told that members had an informal right to veto applicants from their own firms -- CEOs and EVPs didn't want to run into their middle management munchkins over lunch. and they didn't much like such munchkins from other firms either.

the impossibly high standards for membership nearly killed the club -- they needed new blood but didn't like that prospective applicants were not senior enough to merit being voted in. i guess they now have female members but i'm not sure. and jews and blacks. they traditionally offer membership to the president of the university of chicago. when the school had a female as president about 20 years ago, she inadvertently ended up integrating the place. but it's still a pretty stuffy place.

I remember seeing a membership list a years ago. a lot of heavy hitters with very few who's-he members. as i said, if you can get in, by all means join.

heavyd

Reaction score
Originally Posted by auto90403
yeah, chicago club is the only one in town that will look you over very very carefully before inviting you to join. i was told that members had an informal right to veto applicants from their own firms -- CEOs and EVPs didn't want to run into their middle management munchkins over lunch. and they didn't much like such munchkins from other firms either.

the impossibly high standards for membership nearly killed the club -- they needed new blood but didn't like that prospective applicants were not senior enough to merit being voted in. i guess they now have female members but i'm not sure. and jews and blacks. they traditionally offer membership to the president of the university of chicago. when the school had a female as president about 20 years ago, she inadvertently ended up integrating the place. but it's still a pretty stuffy place.

I remember seeing a membership list a years ago. a lot of heavy hitters with very few who's-he members. as i said, if you can get in, by all means join.

Out of my league. How on earth did you see a membership list?

auto90403

Reaction score
Originally Posted by heavyd
Out of my league. How on earth did you see a membership list?

a friend had been put up for membership by his boss but had to find one or two more members to support his application. so his boss gave him a list of members and asked if he knew anyone on th elist.

so my friend asked if i knew any of the members and, if so, would i ask them to support his application.

the whole sounded screwy. usually if you support someone's application, then you just ask other members to support their applying. you don't ask the applicant to find members to support.

which made me wonder if his boss really wanted him to join. since my friend quit the firm about 10 days later after a nasty fight with the boss, i suspect not.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads