• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prince of Wales suit advice

vitruvius

Reaction score
Hi all,

Longtime reader, first time poster. I'm looking at buying a Prince of Wales suit. The immediate reason is that I'd like to wear it to a wedding, but I hope to get something that I can wear all the time.

I'm looking at essentially this suit from Hickey Freeman: http://www.hickeyfreeman.com/website...cid=4620424796, which I saw at a local discounter yesterday for about $500.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on whether POW is formal enough to wear for business as well as for social occasions; whether I could wear it year-round (I think of them as a little summer-y, but the unhelpful salesman at the discounter said they're more of a fall thing); whether I could wear it in the evening as well as during the daytime; and whether HF is the best suit to go with at this price point.

Thanks for your input!

PCyclone

Reaction score
I would be interested in thoughts on this question, too. I am ordering a 2-button suit from Thick as Thieves that I will wear for business and my plan is to go with the charcoal Prince of Wales (http://www.thickasthievesla.com/fabrics.html). It's a conservative work environment but not like a City of London bank or anything. Should I reconsider? The alternatives would be a solid dark gray or the charcoal herringbone, but I really love the PoW pattern with a very slight blue overcheck.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear mine for business and social occasions, and have them in both winter and summer weight fabrics.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great choice for wedding and social occasions. Not the best choice in a business suit but depends on the type of business. Whether you can wear it year round depends on your locale and the specific cloth.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From just what I see it is used in both social and formal occasions for certain professions.

I love the pattern but would not wear it to a first interview or a client that was very formal.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't wear a PoW suit to a wedding, unless the wedding was in the country and not particularly formal. It's fine for business if the pattern is sedate and the company isn't too provincial.

jasonmarshalljazz

Reaction score
I think that the 2-Button Glenplaid (Prince of Wales) is one of the most versatile suit any man can own. Wear it anytime you like accept at funerals. try to find on with out a colored over-check like the one you post as the over-check tends to lock one into a color palate. get one in a 9 oz and a 13 oz and enjoy.

instep

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jasonmarshalljazz
I think that the 2-Button Glenplaid (Prince of Wales) is one of the most versatile suit any man can own. Wear it anytime you like accept at funerals. try to find on with out a colored over-check like the one you post as the over-check tends to lock one into a color palate. get one in a 9 oz and a 13 oz and enjoy.
confused.gif

Unless it's a black/dark grey plaid with a navy (or equivalent darkness) overcheck, I very much doubt it's more versatile than a solid charcoal in perhaps in an interesting weave.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads