• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Princ Charles

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw that too. what ever it is, I am not getting one.

Millerp

Reaction score
I saw that too. what ever it is, I am not getting one.
Me neither, especially because the sleeve buttons aren't kissing. Which Savile Row tailor broke the "rule?"
smile.gif
Thanks to ImageShack for Free Image Hosting

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm betting on something relating to an Army regiment-- because of the red, and also the sleeve buttons.
smile.gif

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Something tells me on tailor is taking credit for that monstrosity.

Although, it's kind of hard to argue with the Prince:

"I recommend all black sir"

"I want it with red cuffs"

"That would not be advisable sir"

"I see, your right, it won't match"

"(Sigh of relief)"

"Better make the collar red as well, that way it will match the cuffs"

"Uh, well, um...yes your highness"

Jon.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe the outfit has something to do with the ban on hunting with hounds (coming into force later this month).

Red (correct name: hunting pink) tailcoats are worn at the great balls of the hunting fraternity. Could it be that Charles, looking at his hunting pink tails, said to his valet: "Shame, one can wear it no longer" and then the valet suggested to put collar and cuffs onto another coat? Charles' reply was probably: "One can make a little bit of a protest".

It will be the first time in his life that Charles has shown thrift.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love it. I don't think I'd get one in bright red, but perhaps navy blue velvet....

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, does anybody know which of his "personal tailors" is making his morning suit for the wedding?

Trilby

Reaction score
It's a Windsor Coat. It's worn by male members of the royal family and certain members of the royal household as evening wear at Windsor Castle. Ordinarily it's a tailcoat, but the Prince of Wales and Duke of Edinburgh have dinner jacket versions.

Trilby

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
It's a Windsor Coat.  It's worn by male members of the royal family and certain members of the royal household as evening wear at Windsor Castle.  Ordinarily it's a tailcoat, but the Prince of Wales and Duke of Edinburgh have dinner jacket versions.
Fascinating. I had no idea. Thanks so much for explaining.

Millerp

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trilby,Feb. 11 2005,12:16
It's a Windsor Coat. It's worn by male members of the royal family and certain members of the royal household as evening wear at Windsor Castle. Ordinarily it's a tailcoat, but the Prince of Wales and Duke of Edinburgh have dinner jacket versions.
Fascinating. I had no idea. Thanks so much for explaining.
Yes, fascinating. Thank you. Millerp (original poster)

Mark Seitelman

Reaction score
The Duke of Windsor in his book, "Windsor Remembered", recounted that in his grandfather's and father's time the royalty were very uniform conscious. They wore uniforms all the time and had so-called uniforms designed for civilian purposes. In other words, the royal family had different models of court dress designed for them exclusively.

I would guess that the dinner jacket is one of these "court outfits" designed specifically for the royal family. This dinner jacket is a vestige of court dress, and I assume that the wearing of this design is limited to the Windsor males.

Cheerio.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's a Windsor Coat.  It's worn by male members of the royal family and certain members of the royal household as evening wear at Windsor Castle.  Ordinarily it's a tailcoat, but the Prince of Wales and Duke of Edinburgh have dinner jacket versions.

Trilby
I like it. Thanks for the explanations gents.

Plus, though I am an extreme democrat, I say HRH gets to wear what he wants.

marc37

Reaction score
HRH The Prince of Wales looks hideous in that get up. Almost as weird as when he wears those scottish tartin dresses (kilts). Pants are for men not skirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads