• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prick or do not prick sausages?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
5 lakes is fantastic, although Milford is just so far out of the way when you're in Downtown or Dearborn. I guess Bloomfield is not much closer.

Piob - have you ever been to the Lark ? That's the one spot I never managed to hit in the D - did the Whitney, Rattlesnake (which I really love), Tribute (while Takashi was there... stupendous), Coach/Insignia, Roast, the old-school place on Congress that serves the Bull Shot, the Ritz... but never managed to get to the Lark.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Ron,

No, never been there. My Detroit days were also quite a bit more modest than life is now. Heck, I used to valet at Joe Muir's Seafood. Remember that place?

BDC2823

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Robin, I think I should add, I make my own sausages. I treat them just like an expensive cut of meat. We're not talking Jimmy Dean here.

Yeah I thought it was standard protocol to monitor the internal temperature.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BDC2823
Yeah I thought it was standard protocol to monitor the internal temperature.
I never do. I play by feel.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I never do. I play by feel.
+1 ... on small cuts like steaks and sausages, chicken parts, etc. when you get up to roast size, i think temp becomes more valid.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
+1 ... on small cuts like steaks and sausages, chicken parts, etc. when you get up to roast size, i think temp becomes more valid.
Yup. When you can no longer feel the middle of the meat with your fingers, a thermometer helps. That sounds icky.
frown.gif

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Yup. When you can no longer feel the middle of the meat with your fingers, a thermometer helps. That sounds icky.
frown.gif

I think they were talking gut feel not actually feeling the meat...

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This last page has made me very moist

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bhowie
This last page has made me very moist

All the pricks and sausages, how could you not?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Ron, No, never been there. My Detroit days were also quite a bit more modest than life is now. Heck, I used to valet at Joe Muir's Seafood. Remember that place?
I don't - there's a seafood place in the dearborn mall now that is in the Miur seafood group (that owns Charlie's Crab). My time in Detroit was '99 - '05

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GrillinFool
I think they were talking gut feel not actually feeling the meat...
Really? How do you tell if something is cooked without poking at it with your fingers?

GrillinFool

Reaction score
Really? How do you tell if something is cooked without poking at it with your fingers?

Look. Texture when pushed on with some tongs. Time on the grill. Reviewing the look of the meat in your mind to other meat that was cooked to perfection. Feel. :shrug:

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Look. Texture when pushed on with some tongs. Time on the grill. Reviewing the look of the meat in your mind to other meat that was cooked to perfection. Feel. :shrug:
No way, dude. You have to learn a sense of what meat feels like at different temperatures when you poke it with your fingers. That is the only way, IMO.

GrillinFool

Reaction score
No way, dude. You have to learn a sense of what meat feels like at different temperatures when you poke it with your fingers. That is the only way, IMO.

Seriously? You gotta be screwing with me right?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Seriously? You gotta be screwing with me right?
Not at all. Isn't this how everybody does it?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads