• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Price this vintage belt buckle

Gucci Uomo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
Boo hoo....it looks no different than the belts Gucci offers today.

Ok. Show me high detail photos of metal hardware from any belt that you consider to be high quality. Any brand. Any price.

Gucci Uomo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Let it go. You're on the wrong turf for this fight.

It's not a fight. I want to see some high quality stuff to compare.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gucci Uomo
Ok. Show me high detail photos of metal hardware from any belt that you consider to be high quality. Any brand. Any price.

Sure, let me go get my Hermes belt and set-up my camera tripod and whatnot at midnight on a Thursday so I can prove to you that your belt is nothing special.

What exactly do you think that would prove anyhow. I said your belt is no different than Gucci's current offerings, go to their website and look for yourself. How is a pic of my belts going to substantiate my claim?

DL

Gucci Uomo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
Sure, let me go get my Hermes belt and set-up my camera tripod and whatnot at midnight on a Thursday so I can prove to you that your belt is nothing special.

What exactly do you think that would prove anyhow. I said your belt is no different than Gucci's current offerings, go to their website and look for yourself. How is a pic of my belts going to substantiate my claim?

DL

I've already said - I am not an expert. I've seen those pictures. And I saw it's original belt, before I trashed it.

All I want is to see a good hardware with aprox. equal detail that you consider to be high quality. That's it. just to have a point of reference. I promise, I'll keep the conclusions to myself. Unlike some of you guys, I'm not trying to prove anything to anybody.

P.S. I apologize for my french.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Back in the day Gucci was good stuff. Maybe through the early 1970s, when licensing and logo-ed cloth luggage began to proliferate.

I have a vintage Gucci tie from a good buddy that's quite interesting.

If you want to see nice buckles, though, check these:

http://www.buckleandhide.co.uk/

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually rarely see very high quality belt buckles. The ones I do see tend to be rather costly things made in precious metals, which given the inherent value of the metal, are going to be high quality.

As for Gucci, I like vintage Gucci, from the '50s through the '70s. Then you get the airport duty-free. Tom Ford was nice too; I don't like the post-Ford stuff, which is quite frankly, tacky in its attempts to be retro-chic.

Gucci Uomo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
If you want to see nice buckles, though, check these:

http://www.buckleandhide.co.uk/

RJman,

With all honesty, I can not see how, supposedly non-tacky stuff like this, made by nobody:

waterloo3.jpg

swellbrass1.jpg

Could be compared to the amount of manual work, detail and design which that buckle has. If it really was awful duty free "licensing", then I'd give a tooth (of my cat, he wouldn't mind) for a chance to stock up at that airport.

I'm not trying to say, that this buckle is special or anything close to the price range of that python belt.

I just think, that it's an interesting piece, for somebody, to whom the name Gucci means or meant anything, whether during flashy late-sevnties or duty free 80's. In this particular case, we have a continuation of that infamous horseshit concept (horse bits and stuff). It was and still is a luxury company, with it's heritage and design concepts. Based on my subjective evaluation, I'd say aged brass could be worn with something casual.

Originally Posted by LabelKing
Tom Ford was nice too; I don't like the post-Ford stuff, which is quite frankly, tacky in its attempts to be retro-chic.

Nobody likes post-Ford stuff, but everyone buys it, for some mysterious reasons. Obvious changes in the accessories department began to take place a few years ago. Keep in mind, that he personally hired Frida Giannini for the accessories department and she worked there, when those interesting collections began to appear. But prior to that, he was doing garbage for 6 years. So her probation still isn't over. I like suits and accessories from late Ford and Ray eras. There was a clear and sharp concept of classic luxury with a modern twist, it was Gucci and it was better than anything this house ever did.

As for Giannini, she has only one problem with menswear: she designs it for herself, for a woman you see on women's runway shows. That's the reason why I'm not going to buy anything she does, before she'll give "menswear" department to someone else or leave the house.

Ford could return and it's a possibility. He kept it cool when he had to leave. There was no conflict between him and Pinault. Armani named Ford as the person who could take creative designers position after his retirement. and the stuff that Ford does now, isn't worse than his best collections at Gucci.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads