Price resistance. What are you prepared to pay?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Rye GB, Jan 13, 2009.

1. constant struggle

constant struggle Senior member

Shirts $150
    Sweaters/Knits $200
    Outerwear $500
    Shoes - $250
    Sneakers - $200
    Tee Shirts $10
    Jeans $250
    Dress Pants $120
    SPortscoat/Blazer - $300
    SUits - $800

2. Lysol

Lysol Senior member

It's the same thing for me. I have no problem flinging around money on things that bring me pleasure like clothes, records and booze but I'm reluctant to spend a tiny fraction of that amount on boring necessities like kitchen appliances. I still don't own a microwave oven.

I bought a house two years ago. It's a four bedroom house with a full kitchen, dining room, living room and sun room. We have a couch, chair, bed, desk, kitchen table and I just bought us a 40" TV and it sits on a TV stand I've had since my first apartment, eight years ago. The front of my house is all overgrown and could use a landscaper. My neighbors wear stir up pants, Old Navy and Eagles sweatshirts.

I'm fine with this.

3. FashionIQ

FashionIQ Senior member

Tee's: $30
    Shirts: $90
    Jeans: $200
    Outerwear: $130 (never actually lived anywhere that I need outerwear, not that I don't buy)
    Shoes: $200
    Sneakers: $80

That we are on athletic shoes, I payed about $90 for Huarache 2k5's and it' been one of my best and most used purchases.

4. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I don't have set limits. I have a general idea of what I'm willing to pay for a particular item when I see it. I either shop around until I find the price I want, don't need it enough that I'll sacrifice waiting around until sale season, or simply don't buy it.

It all depends on the item and the circumstances. For example, I picked up a pair of CP's last month for $100 on sale*; if you were to ask me before if I would pay $100 for sneakers I would have laughed in your face but then under those circumstances the deal of getting a pair of $355 shoes at that price was too good to pass up.

*=No, I'm not saying where I bought them. No, there are no more available. Yes, there were plenty of sizes available but I didn't feel like B&S'ing during my vacation.

5. blank

blank Senior member

Tees: $30, Save Khaki
    Jeans: $300, Blue in Green
    Button-ups: $150 ONLY if it is Seize sur Vingt; otherwise, $40-70
    Sweaters: $70/80, Uniqlo, Polo, J. Crew
    Shoes: $350 (but I only need like 3 pair total), NDC, Alden
    Sneaks: $50, Converse
    Watch: $500, Stowa

6. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

I don't have set limits. I have a general idea of what I'm willing to pay for a particular item when I see it. I either shop around until I find the price I want, don't need it enough that I'll sacrifice waiting around until sale season, or simply don't buy it.

this is me as well.

7. Chrispy

Chrispy Senior member

Definitely the "stylish kicks" option. For actual athletics, I don't go above $60 either.

For actual athletic shoes, it is whatever the current price of the current model of the Asics 2xxx running shoe is. Usually $90

Tee's: $20
    Shirts: $50
    Jeans: $250
    Outerwear: ?? havent had to buy any recently
    Boots: $200
    shoes(sneakers): $90 (I'll count desert boots in this category)

Once I have money most of these will go up. (tee's will not, I dont think)

8. Warren G.

Warren G. Senior member

I am also willing to spend more on tailored clothes than on casual clothes.
    ^ This. but here what I'm willing to blow my cash on : Suits : $1,200 Dress shirt : $125 Ties : $50 Belts : $100 Trouser : $150 Dress shoes : $550 As for my casual stuff : tees : 20 button ups: 75 Jeans: 300 Outerwear: 300 Sweaters/Knits : 200 Sneakers: 60

9. Curious_George

Curious_George Senior member

Tees: around $20; I dislike graphic tees and can't ever see myself paying more for blank tees when I can find all sorts that fit for cheap.

Shirts: $100ish; I recently broke my old barrier with an EG shirt on sale because it was unique and interesting enough for me to justify the cost. Normally though my resistance is around $75 as usually don't have much difficultly finding nice shirts on sale or when thrifting.

Jeans: $250ish; This is probably my weak area, I love denim and I never have luck finding cool vintage pairs in my size so I'm more willing to pay for a new pair I really like that fits.

Outerwear: $300; I live in a cold state so it gets many months of use.

Shoes/Boots: $400; My second weakness, but since I spend a lot of time walking around in them during the day I see it as the better investment of the two.

Sneakers: $75ish; I don't really wear them much except in the summer.

10. Brigden

Brigden Senior member

If I want something, and can afford it, I usually buy it. I'm more inclined to buy something, regardless of cost, if I'm into the label and the fit is good, but most of the time, I buy things because I'm into the label.

I think many here are the same, but are unwilling to admit it.

I've happily paid more than $500 for shoes, and have even spent $175 on a tie, but I'd balk at the idea of dropping more than $30 for a tee, regardless of label.

11. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Tee's: $15
    Shirts: $100 (avg. $35 - $50)
    Sweaters - $100 (avg. $35-$50)
    Jeans: $250
    Casual trousers - $100
    Outerwear: $900 (avg. $150-$250)
    Shoes/Boots: $650 (avg. $150-$200)
    Sneakers: $50
    Belts - $125
    Beanies,gloves,scarves etc. - $50

Suit - $650 (avg $400)
    Sportcoat - $400 (avg $250)
    Dress shirt - $100 (avg $50)
    Dress trousers - $150 (avg $70)
    Dress shoes - $500 (avg. $250)
    Dress belt - $100
    Overcoat - $350
    Tie - $75 (avg. $25)
    Pocket squares - $20
    Cufflinks, other small jewelry items - $50

I don't think my maximums are going to change, but I will likely be buying a LOT less stuff overall.

12. blank

blank Senior member

Strange, nobody is willing to put a $265 limit on shirts.

Looks like American Apparel, J. Crew and Nike will stay in business.

13. 2sweet

2sweet Senior member

I'm happy to say I'm the complete opposite. I look for how a garment fits first and foremost. The cut has to be flattering, and reasonably comfortable as well. Then, I look at price, and the label is the least important consideration.

Of course, you learn over time that certain brands are going to be cut a certain way, but nonetheless the brand itself is simply an indicator of how well a garment will fit and therefore look.

If I want something, and can afford it, I usually buy it. I'm more inclined to buy something, regardless of cost, if I'm into the label and the fit is good, but most of the time, I buy things because I'm into the label.

I think many here are the same, but are unwilling to admit it.

I've happily paid more than $500 for shoes, and have even spent $175 on a tie, but I'd balk at the idea of dropping more than $30 for a tee, regardless of label.

14. unjung

unjung Senior member

I don't having a guiding philosophy for purchases, other than as cheap as possible. This applies to everything - I have certain items I simply won't buy in certain places, because I know I can get them for less elsewhere.

Tees: $25
    Shirts: $50
    Sweaters: $100 (cashmere)
    Jeans: $180
    Outerwear: $350
    Shoes/Boots: $450
    Sneakers: $80
    Belts: $40
    Suits: $550
    Sportcoats: $400
    Dress shirts: $100
    Overcoats: $350
    Ties: $60
    Pocket squares: $20
    Watches: $300

15. wmmk

wmmk Senior member

Interesting to see how little a lot of you guys would be willing to spend on suits. I don't spend much at all on my streetwear, but would be happy to drop $1000+ on a really good suit.