1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Price of velvet compared to other clothes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jamesbond, Mar 28, 2006.

1. A Y

A Y Senior member

I believe it was right around $1K, and it was on sale.

--Andre

2. stach

stach Senior member

As I understand it, velvet is the result of a process (and I'm not sure that velveteen is a term of art). Cotton, rayon, linen, silk, and mohair have all been used to create fine cloth that could rightly be described as velvet.

Mohair makes into velour.

3. vc2000

vc2000 Senior member

Isn't the velvet jacket trend about played out? I would be slow to put a lot of $ into a custom jacket if it were trendy. I recently saw a velvet jacket at Target.

Please correct me if I am wrong. I don't pretend to know what the trends are.

4. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

Trend? Well, I guess trends get it right sometimes then. I love to wear velvet, and doubly love the attention (and touches) it brings.

Tom

5. Dmntd

Dmntd Member

Velvet not made with silk is called velveteen.

Not the same thing

Cotton

Anthony

6. Dmntd

Dmntd Member

velveteen is a type of cloth [usually cotton] made in imitation of velvet, it has a shorter pile.

velour is a heavy fabric that resembles velvet.

velvet is a fabric, having a short, close nap of erect threads. it can be woven from a number of fibers including silk and cotton or a combination of fibers like silk, linen, nylon, acetate, or rayon.

The most common silk velvet I've come across is rayon pile on a silk base, 18% silk - 82% rayon.

Sewing silk requires small size needles and like many silk fabrics it shows pin holes. One of the hardest things about working with silk, is that it slippery, another is dull needles will pull the yarns making puckers, it really is a pain to work with, but when done right the rewards are worth the time and trouble.

If you tape the edges to be sewn it will keep them from slipping, sew 1/4" in from the tape then cut the taped fabric off after sewing.

Anthony

7. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

I've heard that you can not press velvet, is that true? Scabal has a really nice velvet jacketing that I've been considering for nights out, but to be unable to press it would make the expenditure a little ridiculous for me.

8. tiger02

tiger02 Senior member

I've heard that you can not press velvet, is that true? Scabal has a really nice velvet jacketing that I've been considering for nights out, but to be unable to press it would make the expenditure a little ridiculous for me.
    Steam is your friend my man.

9. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Never press velvet on the pile side. Pressing should be minimal and only to the back of the velvet after placing the fabric pile down on a needleboard or scrap piece of velvet (pile side up)

Creasing or bruising of the pile after wearing, although infrequent, can be restored by minimal steaming to the back of the velvet. (Special care should be taken to ensure that water does not make contact with velvet qualities designated dry clean only).

From http://www.denholme-velvets.co.uk/Care.htm