• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Price of velvet compared to other clothes?

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Im thinking of commisioning a velvet DJ and was wondering about price compared to other cloths, is it more expensive or less? Is there anyone selling a good RTW right now? My reasoning of going bespoke is that if RLPL or someone else has a nice one they are probably charging around 1,200 or higher so why not go bespoke if its around the same price? thanks

Dmntd

Reaction score
I've seen 10 oz. 100% cotton velvet from $15.00 to $45.00 a yard.

Dmntd

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you want velvet, get silk velvet, which yes, is going to be somewhat expensive.

Actually silk velvet is a relatively rare fabric.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I certainly agree with your reasoning. Cotton velvet is available priced like standard wool. Silk velvet should carry quite a premium, though I don't have any personal experience.

stach

Reaction score
Velvet is difficult to sew. Probably more expensive than wool, construction wise.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Proper velvet is likely more expensive than general wool.

There was a reason velvet has been worn throughout history by aristocrats.

jamesbond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
I certainly agree with your reasoning. Cotton velvet is available priced like standard wool. Silk velvet should carry quite a premium, though I don't have any personal experience.

What is the diffrence between the two and which one is it that high end RTW brands are usually made of? thanks

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
What is the diffrence between the two and which one is it that high end RTW brands are usually made of? thanks
One is derived from cotton and the other is spun from silk. Most brands, high end or not, use cotton velvet.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Silk velvet is the classic, good stuff. It is not common. Every RTW velvet garment I have seen is either cotton or some kind of cotton/synthetic blend.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe there is also silk blended velvet, but I'm not sure where one could even find 100 percent silk velvet. Maybe if a bunch of people got together to commission a lot of it.

--Andre

pejsek

Reaction score
What about linen velvet? I must confess that I've never shopped for velvet cloth, but linen velvet is one of my favorite upholstery fabrics. Linen velvet has an amazing hand and tends to be less shiny than silk velvet.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I think part of the reason cotton velvet is so common is not only because it looks good and isn't that expensive, but because it wears better than silk. I did see this on Jos A. Bank, but I'd recommend going bespoke (fourth from top) myself. If you have any questions about Baron Boutique, go to me, as I own some clothes tailored by them.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
One is derived from cotton and the other is spun from silk. Most brands, high end or not, use cotton velvet.
Um... aren't you contradicting what you just said? :p

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.