• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Price of E. Green in England V. USA

slaavwmr

Reaction score
Is the cost of buying Edward Greens in London any cheaper than buying in the USA? The EG's in Saks run $850. When factoring in S&H is there a way to order from England and save money?

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
EGs in Britian are 435GBP, given current exchange rates and excluding VAT final price would be $671 before shipping. I'd only do it if your absolutely sure on the fit.

darkoak

Reaction score
EG's still having a sale, although the available models are probably quite limited. The price is GBP 250 (net of VAT) + GBP 30 shipping. So that works out to about $500. But again, they may not have the styles you want in your size. Not sure what the regular retail price is; someone else may have more knowledge.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
The style & size issue are a good question. There is nowere on-line to learn the style names. I am looking for the basic captoe and the punch captoe. Any model name/advice for when I call and inquire?

TimelessRider

Reaction score
The style & size issue are a good question. There is nowere on-line to learn the style names. I am looking for the basic captoe and the punch captoe. Any model name/advice for when I call and inquire?
The cap-toe is the Chelsea and the punch toe is the Berkeley. Here are scans from an older catalog.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sla, a simple google search will, in fact, yield many websites that list the names of Edward Green shoes. Given that this issue has come up before, I wanted to correct the "nowhere online" statement.

Also, I see you're in the NYC area. You should check out Richards or Mitchell's in Connecticut (Greenwich, etc.), as they carry EGs and I think for less $$$ than Saks.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
Timeless Rider. Thanks for the post, it's great.

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack, but how great is the 606 last?  Geez.

On my feet at this moment (dark oak Dover) - a thing of beauty.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
So, I called Edward Green in London this morning to price the Berkely & Chelsea. After the removal of VAT and adding shipping the price is 400 Pounds. When that is converted at todays rate it is about $750. A $100 saving over Saks. However, Being that I have never tried the shoes on in my life it seems like it might be worth the extra $100 to buy it in Saks. If they don't fit well I am out $100 in Shipping costs. Seems risky to me.

Looking to improve

Reaction score
it might be worth the extra $100 to buy it in Saks.
You could also go to Saks and just try the EG's on to find your size/width in the last you're looking for. Once you know that, you could contact EG again with more specific information.

On the other hand: for $100 you might get instant gratification.

MtB

jrh

Reaction score
Be sure to add on duty to import (8 to 10 %) plus handling fees for the shipper. US Postal adds on their fee. You may still save alittle.

But you also get the style and option to adjust the look in skin and styling to a particular model as you choose. If you do that, the cost goes up some.

I have ordered several pairs directly from London, got what I wanted , and saved perhaps $50.00.

Try on for you size in a local store to be sure. The trip to Greenwich, CT is worth it. The metro north train from Grand Central is a 45 minute ride and puts you a few streets from Richards.

Great shoes and boots. If you are in NYC check out J M Weston. A little different feel, but just as wonderful a shoe or boot.

Bye, the bye ... if you go to Greenwich, check out EuroChase on the bottom of the Avenue. Great place for Euro country clothing.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
Be sure to add on duty to import (8 to 10 %) plus handling fees for the shipper.  US Postal adds on their fee.  You may still save alittle.

But you also get the style and option to adjust the look in skin and styling to a particular model as you choose.  If you do that, the cost goes up some.

I have ordered several pairs directly from London, got what I wanted , and saved perhaps $50.00.

Try on for you size in a local store to be sure.  The trip to Greenwich, CT is worth it.  The metro north train from Grand Central is a 45 minute ride and puts you a few streets from Richards.

Great shoes and boots.  If you are in NYC check out J M Weston.  A little different feel, but just as wonderful a shoe or boot.

Bye, the bye ... if you go to Greenwich, check out EuroChase on the bottom of the Avenue.  Great place for Euro country clothing.

Thanks for the post. It was very informative. Do you know how much Richards charges for their EG's? Based on what you wrote it is just not worth it to import the shoes. The shoes are $750 including S&H, but if you tack on import duties you be looking at another $50-$75, which would bring it to the $800-$825 range. I might as well go to Saks and buy it, or Richards, and make sure I get a perfect fit and a place to exchange it if they don't. If I get the wrong fit from London I have lost $100 in Shipping costs. Then once I have a size and last that fits me I can order from England in the future.

AAA

Reaction score
Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but Richard's doesn't seem to carry very many models, and most of those that they do are loafers. Mitchell's in Westport seems have the exact same selection.

Definitely call ahead to see what they have before you make the trip.

jrh

Reaction score
The two stores have the same owners. Mitchell's bought Richards. Ritchard's is on Greenwich Ave, downtown, and good for strolling. Mitchell's is a strip mall type setting.

I have not been there in sometime, but the selecton was limitted. Aside for Paul Stuart that stopped selling EG over tens years ago, I have not seen an extensive selection of EG shoes in any USA store. Actually, EG operated the shoe department at PS years ago.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads