1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

price of a Kiton suit from Kiton store/ Barneys?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The_Foxx, Jul 21, 2006.

1. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

If you do Kiton MTM can you ask them to put handstitch detailing on jacket's seams like on shoulders, chest darts, back, and sleeves?

2. Soph

Soph Senior member

You can do custom and pick the cloth, weight, color, sheen, style to some extent,better with custom at 3.5 k or better.

I can't understand why pay 3.5 plus for RTW when you can get custom for the same or less?

Am I missing something?

3. EL72

EL72 Senior member

4. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

You can do custom and pick the cloth, weight, color, sheen, style to some extent,better with custom at 3.5 k or better.

I can't understand why pay 3.5 plus for RTW when you can get custom for the same or less?

Am I missing something?

Yes.

5. MilanoStyle

MilanoStyle Senior member

Am I missing something?

First two points that i can come up are:

1. I believe only Kiton tailors can deliever Kiton level of quality suits.
    2. Guys who wear Kiton suits probably feel good whenever they look at that handstitched Kiton label.

6. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

thanks for all the input and advice. i really don't know i'll ever be in a position to order bespoke suits, as it would at least require two seperate visits for fittings-- so i basically stick to OTR well tailored clothing.

now that i'm about to leave the Brioni train, I figured this is the only time in my life i'll ever be able to buy a Kiton suit from the store, think i will go for it over Xmas. I figure i'll pick a suit from the racks or at least request one in a cloth available for view, trying to avoid any extra charges by ordering in my standard size. hope i can pull it off for $4650!!

7. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Uh, Kiton sportcoats are often over $4500...

8. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Kiton suits at NM retail from $4,650 to $7,950!!

9. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

If you're buying OTR, why don't you wait for the NM or SFA sales where Kiton is routinely available for 50% off. Then buy two suits. I befuddles me that you seem determined to pay full retail for OTR goods.

10. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you're buying OTR, why don't you wait for the NM or SFA sales where Kiton is routinely available for 50% off. Then buy two suits. I befuddles me that you seem determined to pay full retail for OTR goods.
    Granted the Atlanta NM is not indicative of the rest of the country but the Kiton suits I've seen discounted usually are in fabrics that while obviously as nice as any Kiton fabric are non-traditional (ie - lime green pinstripe on gray, red, blue check on brown, etc.). If he wants something more traditional, lets say a solid gray suit, he's going to have a hard time finding it on sale.

11. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

I don't know, sometimes I tire of the second-class citizen treatment one gets sale shopping.

12. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

Not to mention some of the weird colors and patterns that sometimes give me nightmares.

13. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

I don't know, sometimes I tire of the second-class citizen treatment one gets sale shopping.

If you establish a relationship with a salesperson at NM and SFA(among others) they will allow you to pre-shop the sales. Furthermore, say I like a shearling coat which has yet to be marked down, my guys will make note of it in their book and put it away for me when it's marked down. Sometimes they'll even "misplace" it until final markdown[​IMG]

14. Mike C.

Mike C. Senior member

Well... you're not paying first class prices during sale, are you?

15. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

I'm not quite in the Kiton class yet. I do have some nice suits in 120's that I really like(Canali, Samuelsohn). But at my wife's law firm many of the partners, where price is not a consideration, wear top of the line suits in 180's(Kiton, MTM, Bespoke, Brioni etc.)

Many have them have told me that they wished they had gotten 150's and they felt the 180 fabric was an unneeded affectation.

I'm certainly no expert and I don't even know if Kiton offers 150's, but perhaps some members might comment on the desirability of 180's versus 150's and their experiences.

Regards and Good Luck!

16. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

Just to throw this out there - thread count doesn't necessarily mean a thin fabric. I have a wool and cashmere Super 160s in winter-weight flannel.

17. aportnoy

aportnoy Senior member Dubiously Honored

Just to throw this out there - thread count doesn't necessarily mean a thin fabric. I have a wool and cashmere Super 160s in winter-weight flannel.

Word Z! I also have super 160s and super 180s flannels from Belvest.

18. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

thread count doesn't necessarily mean a thin fabric.

Yep, and it doesn't speak to the quality either.

19. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

I'd rather wear cashmere than 180's. It's admittedly a bit less fine (like a micron) but has a nicer hand. It's also harder to find suiting patterns in cashmere, but the best stuff is often less expensive than 180's+ too.

I would wear 150's from Lesser and Harrisons and 140s from Holland & Sherry, if I were shopping for those kinds of suits.

20. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

One of the reasons Kiton feels so light is because they use 150s and up. The downside is that Kiton suits are more delicate, and do not have the durability of something like 120s.