• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Resource icon

Alden Cigar/"Tobacco" Shell Boot 8.5D, 379x Last, Commando sole, Blue Blue Japan

goalaso

Reaction score
goalaso submitted a new classified:

Alden Cigar/"Tobacco" Shell PTB 8.5D, 379x Last, Commando sole, Blue Blue Japan - Model 460020 from Blue Blue Japan, lots of patina, rolls, commando sole

I picked these up from Japan, still in Alden box labelled "Tobacco", which I believe is the translation of Cigar (if anyone can read the Japanese characters on the box in the photo, let us know!). The patina makes it look like Cigar in places, Color #4 in other places. Photos included are indoors and outdoors. These are well-used with beautiful rolls, but in excellent shape. They are model 460020, from Blue Blue Japan store. Pretty rare. Commando soles in good condition, lots of life left...

Read more about this resource...

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are indeed Cigar. Nice pair, GLWS.

FYI the model number is 46002C, not 460020.

goalaso

Reaction score
Thanks @JSO1 , updated the model number to include the C. Scant info online about these. I wish they fit me

confusedcius

Reaction score
Hey, how does this last compare to the other lasts by Alden? Curious if you could provide some references to what else you wear. Thanks!

diokanye

Reaction score
Not my size but these are gorgeous, best of luck

goalaso

Reaction score
@confusedcius The 379x stateside is also known as the MiIitary Last. I think the SF fit guide description of the 379x is very accurate: https://www.styleforum.net/ams/alden-shoes-sizing-guide-379x-last.124446/
The guidance I've seen 80-90% of the time is to go 1/2 size down from your Brannock (or just use your Barrie, Trubalance, Modified size, etc). These are a 1/2 size too small for me (9.5 Brannock), otherwise I would *definitely* be keeping them. Snake Oil Provisions also has sizing advice that I agree with: https://www.snakeoilprovisions.com/products/the-pike-plain-toe-boot-brown-chromexcel , saying "This boot last falls somewhere between the Barrie and TruBalance in terms of width, toe shape, length and overall fit." I wanted to try the last because it seemed like the ideal aesthetic and fit balance between the blobby but very supportive and comfy Modified and the too wide and voluminous Barrie. Trubalance is the last which probably works best for me in Alden. The 379x is more supportive/orthopedic than Trubalance is, while being a bit more shapely. Like most of the more "orthopedic" lasts, I think they look much better broken in- which is the attraction of this particular boot.

confusedcius

Reaction score
Thank you for the comprehensive answer! May be interested since sizing seems to work, let me think on it though

goalaso

Reaction score
@confusedcius I sent you a message in "Conversations". I don't see any other messages from you, so maybe I'm looking in the wrong place

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics