• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Preview: Styleforum gets a facelift

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

We are going to have a new design for the look and feel of the site for the first time since 2005! When we changed platforms, we tried to keep the look and feel as close to the original as possible, but having a site that is easier to read, easier to navigate, and just generally more nicer to look at all day long, has been on our minds for a while. While we've all grown to love, or at least be accustomed to our blue-grey and Spartan red color scheme, the fact remains that it was decided over one long night between me and j, and was based on a design that j made up in 5 minutes in 2002.

However, it took us a long time to change because we wanted someone who was not only a great graphic designer, but also something who was an active member of the forum, and who understood both the Classic menswear and Streetwear and Denim, sides of the forum, and the dynamic of the forum in general. We found such a man in Parker. Based on a color scheme and design by Parker, we (Parker, me, j, and our hosting partners) came together to come up with what you see now:
1) a khaki and black color scheme which is more attractive easier on the eyes;
2) Special fonts that add to the character of the forum with a Verdana body font and fewer font sizes, making hours and hours of reading and posting easier and more enjoyable
3) a more intuitive top navigation bar.

Everything was done with the user experience in mind.

Oh, and we even included a "classic view", configurable from your account settings, if you feel nostalgic for the "Sparta!" colors.

You'll see this live January 3, I'm told. I like to think of it as a New Year's gift to all of us.

Cheers,

Fok.

Frontpage:

In a thread:

Classic view:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:brick:

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks fantastic. Fok, you have done great things for the menswear community. Thank you very much for keeping this forum at the cutting edge of tech.

Spencer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good, I didg it!

wizzeak

Reaction score
Homepage definitely looks better but I must say, I like the old forum better. That always seems to be the case though. Change is so weird on forums you visit frequently. I mean it looks better so I guess I just have to deal with it and get used to it.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank guys, and wizzeak, I definitely feel you. I think that it's like getting new clothes. For me, it usually takes a week or so to get it feeling right. But if it's something you know you love, it's easier.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks awesome- will it affect the speed at all?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Looks awesome- will it affect the speed at all?

Nope. The body text is in Verdana, which is a universal font, and means that the page will not need to be re-rendered, only some headlines and titles and stuff, just like now. As a text heavy site (it's a forum, duh), we had to stick with a universal body font for exactly this reason.

Ritchee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice. Thank you for all your hard work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads