• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prevent stinky shoes

m3rkury

Reaction score
I recently bought a pair of shoes that I plan on wearing sockless. Is there any way to prevent the shoes from smelling like rotten feet? I do not have an odor problem normally, but when I wear Birkenstocks or flip-flops they tend to develop a nasy smell after a while and I don't want this to happen to these shoes.

Thanks in advance

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd imagine you'd want to be assiduous about using shoe trees and that you'd want to give them as many days between wearings as possible. Beyond that, being a sock man, I'd be unable to provide much in the way of useful counsel.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not all feet are suited for the sockless treatment. Try no show socks.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
if you don't have any problem, medically, with your feet then the leather on your sandals could be the culprit.

StevenRocks

Reaction score
Banana Republic sells loafer socks. They're cheap and they work really well.

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Near the end of this last March, Mayday981 posted a similar query in the Body Consciousness area of the Men’s Style section of SF.
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=12730

Originally Posted by Mayday981
Hi everybody, I'm wondering if anybody has any suggestions for food odor. Everyday after a long day of work I go home take off my shoes and my food smells like somebody died in it. I don't know if it's because I wear it too much or if it is just the shoe but it's becoming quite a wretched smell .

Whether the odor is from your feet, shoes, or a combination thereof . . . a solution of sorts was posted here in the weeks leading up to the Great Server Crash early this year.

One of SF's shoe-focused members (who shall remain anonymous) shared the results of an ongoing experiment in shoe bleaching with other SF members in a multi-post thread. A dilute bleach solution that, as a side-effect to getting rid of the "hideous" original John Lobb color, also removed the pesky aroma of fine leather from some John Lobb shoes. This might just do the same for not only your prandially permeated pumps, but your funky feet as well. In fact, to save some time, you might consider just dunking the whole fettid combination into a bucket of the six percent solution. Why bother even removing your shoes?

Clearly, the answer was awaiting you here until the aforementioned server crash! Your feet, your family, society in general, and the Mayday's restaurant diners will be forever grateful to Style Forum.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StevenRocks
Banana Republic sells loafer socks. They're cheap and they work really well.

True!

m3rkury

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the replies. The loafer socks sound like a good idea, although I would like to try sockless for a while (never done it before). Ill also have to take a closer look at the Kiwi stuff.

Originally Posted by NMW1982
What kind of shoes are they?
They are Bacco Bucci leather driving shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads