• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pretty Pictures (Plating in cookbooks)

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
What, in your opinion, is the best "plating" cookbook? I need a source to slavishly copy as I refine my still rather pathetic plating "skillz".

Thanks.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
TFL
Alinea
Or a French book Matt hooked me up with called "Alleno 101." The pictures are so redonkulously boner inducing.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I have TFL. Not interested in Chem Lab Cooking so Alinea is not for me. Will check out the other one.

EDIT: JFC, typical iammatt suggestion, it's $250 and in a foreign language
plain.gif

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
You don't have to use agar gels or make caviar to be inspired by Alinea's plating. It's all about their use of color, negative space, height, etc.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know next to nothing about plating, but have you thought about looking at graphic design books? For example, this book has one of the best explanations of negative space and asymmetry I've read:

http://www.amazon.com/Elements-Graph...6259479&sr=1-1

It may not have pictures of food, but the explanation of the underlying principles of design may be helpful in figuring out things on your own.

--Andre

braised

Reaction score
Manton -

Arte Culinaire, a very glossy quarterly. If you haven't stumbled across it yet, its worth the money to try a year.

Fredy Giradet - "recipes from a master of french cuisine"

Michel Bras - "essential cuisine"

Pierre Gagniere - "reinventing frenh cuisine" and "reflections on culinary artistry" are classic.

Yotam Ottolenghi (http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk) has some seriously styled food, the Nottinghill store in London is exquisite. Nearly a reason to move there.

Braised

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
There are not many pics in the Gagnaire books, and half are mise Appreciation and not plated.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by braised
Manton - Arte Culinaire, a very glossy quarterly. If you haven't stumbled across it yet, its worth the money to try a year. Fredy Giradet - "reciepes from a master of french cuisine" Michel Bras - "essential cuisine" Pierre Gagniere - "reinventing frenh cuisine" and "reflections on culinary artistry" are classic. Yotam Ottolenghi ([url="http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/"/URL]) has some seriously styled food, the Nottinghill store in London is exquisite. Nearly a reason to move there. Braised
Girardet and bras are great suggestions. More in line with how mike likes to eat, and frankly, the modern American stuff is a bit sterile to my eyes.

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
lol, that is ******* awesome.

I'm thinking if one was a very talented and motivated aspiring chef in the third world, they could sit on yelp and/or browse asian american girls food blogs and see as much fine plating as they need to.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by braised
Yotam Ottolenghi (http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk) has some seriously styled food, the Nottinghill store in London is exquisite. Nearly a reason to move there.
i just spent the weekend cooking out of "Plenty" (as well as Skye Gyllengal's new one) ... i really like both of their aesthetic. the food is really, really beautiful, but it's not stylized. there's nothing wrong with natural colors and shapes. dammit. so much of this plating nonsense reminds me of those horrible Alfred Portale "Tall Food" plates from the 1980s. Yes, I'm old. And I'm cranky.

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tattersall
Good god...
This looks so unappetizing to me. It's cool that it can be done, but get it off my plate.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I have TFL. Not interested in Chem Lab Cooking so Alinea is not for me. Will check out the other one.

EDIT: JFC, typical iammatt suggestion, it's $250 and in a foreign language
plain.gif

laugh.gif

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
julia child had a great line about plates like that: "I just wonder how many people touched my food before I did".

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Girardet and bras are great suggestions. More in line with how mike likes to eat, and frankly, the modern American stuff is a bit sterile to my eyes.

Really? I don't see a huge difference between Alinea and Alleno. But there are slight differences. TBH, a lot of your plating looks similar to Alleno stuff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads