• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pretreating shirts

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What do you use for stains on the collars and cuffs when you wash your shirts? The stain remover I used--bought in London--has run out. Any advice? I bought a bar of Fels Naptha soap at the grocery store, though haven't tried it yet.

Ed13

Reaction score
I use either Shout or Spray & Wash. What seems to make the difference is letting the shirt soak in water for a day or two after spraying.

trogdor

Reaction score
You can get Shout in a little bottle with a soft red plastic brush attached to the top; the brush is pretty gentle on cotton and it's great for working the soap into the stain, especially on general collar and cuff grime.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Usually, just pretreating for a while with pure liquid detergent before washing is sufficient. For tough jobs (had a case recently) and only on white/off white shirts, I swear by blue Dawn + Hydrogen peroxide in equal parts. I let the shirt soak in that mixture and rub once in a while until the stains disappear. That last shirt took too days. It did not seem to damage the fabric in the least (cotton/linen). Otherwise, I like K2R from Germany.

demeis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shampoo. Its ment to get oil and dirt out of your hair and that is pretty much whats on your collar and cuffs. Works great.

Horace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oxyclean.  even takes out yellow stains under arms
I've started using this product. Good stuff.

Kabbaz has an article on laundering shirts.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you use the oxyclean to remove sweat stains? Â I've tried with no success. Â Perhaps it was due to the aluminum-containing anti-perspirant that I wore at the time. Here's an earlier thread on cleaning shirts: http://www.styleforum.net/cgi-bin....;t=4142 dan

Phil

Reaction score
Oxyclean may be the best invention ever produced if you have children. As the dad of a 2 year old, I have found oxyclean has been a tremendous help. All you do is start the machine, put in the oxclean powder, throw in the clothes, and let them soak for like 30 min, more if the stains are worse. You dont have to pre treat any specific spots. The stuff is amazing. You have to try it to understand how amazing it really is. It literally, in 2 years, has NEVER failed to get a stain out, and 2 year olds are masters of making a mess of themselves.

bch

Reaction score
Oxyclean. even takes out yellow stains under arms
Use deodorant and not anti-perspirant and you can stop worrying about those yellow stains altogether. I used to stain my shirts all the time. It got expensive, not to mention discouraging with custom shirts. Changed to deodrant and haven't had a stain since.

johnw86

Reaction score
I use Shout on the collars and cuffs. I don't soak them for a day before washing, however. I put the Shout on, then start the washer...after it's about half filled (a couple of minutes), I add the shirts. It seems to work just fine.

Vespa

Reaction score
A vote for Oxyclean.

I add the Oxyclean first just set the neptune to pre-soak and ta da.

Works great. If one must wear the anti-p I have noticed that the Arm and Hammer brand seems to leave little or no stains compared to some of the others.

trogdor

Reaction score
If one must wear the anti-p I have noticed that the Arm and Hammer brand seems to leave little or no stains compared to some of the others.
I'll second that -- since I switched to the A&H anti-perspirant, I haven't yellowed a single shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics